Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ottoman coin female help???  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
ottoman coin female help???
« on: May 12, 2006, 12:14:30 pm »
hi Folks
I know it is Ottoman coins, and I think I can read EGYPT retograd at the coin, any farther help plz?

Manzikert

Re: ottoman coin female help???
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 06:31:59 pm »
Hi Salem

I think this is another of those thin brass 'coins' produced to be sewn on women's clothing and headdresses in Ottoman and ottoman influenced areas.

The 'reverse' is obviously based on the obverse of the hariye altin series of Mahmud II (years 21-26, c1828-33) from Turkey (or less possibly the zeri mahbub series of years 21-28 (c.1828-1835) from Egypt), but the use of a female head on the 'obverse' is extraordinary and I have never seen one of these before. I do have a small copy of the hariye altin which has the same 'pince-nez' glasses symbol as is under the tougra on this piece, possibly made by the same person.

On the obverse I see ME[hole]AILI :-\ before the bust, and as you say I think the inscription behind the bust is probably something like TPYGE FO for OF EGYPT engraved backwards.

A fascinating piece, even if not really a coin.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
Re: ottoman coin female help???
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 12:07:49 pm »
Hi Salem

Interesting coin. Unfortunately not an official coin, as Alan already said, but rather a brass piece for belly dancind garmets. There were many of such pieces on a garmet so they make a clinging sound when the dancer is dancing.

This particular one is Greek. The obverse, always the side with the Tugra or Sultans name on Ottoman coins (so the bottom image), is a an imitation of a II. Mahmudi Hayriye Altin with an Abdulhamid Tugra but with Elgazi addition to the Tugra, which does not make any sense. Hayriye coins did not exist with Abdulhamid and Abdulhmid was not of the Elgazi house. The reverse shows a Greek princess or queen, a typical christian symbol. This is to mock the Ottomans, as there is a similar reverse with a Kosovian on Ottoman Medals.

All in all an interesting historical piece, but not much for numismatic value. This probably was produced during the rise of Greek partisans fighting against the Ottomans for souvereignty.

Best wishes,
Burak

All coins are guaranteed for eternity