Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Maionia Herakles/Omphale  (Read 3512 times)

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Maionia Herakles/Omphale
« on: May 12, 2006, 07:00:19 am »
I received this specimen of a Maionia Herakles coin today, depicting the interesting Omphale with Herakles' attributes on the reverse. The background of this issue can be learned in Jochen's wonderful mythological thread: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=25089.50 (third posting) My coin is not spectacular, but the rather nice Herakles head compensates for the worn reverse - I'm happy with it!

Maionia AE19, imperial times.
Obv: bearded head of Herakles left.
Rev: legend around Omphale, advancing right, holding lion skin, and club across shoulder.
Ø 18-19 mm, 3.62 g.

I doubt that my coin is from the very same issue as Jochen's; even with a magnifier, I can't see any trace of obverse legend. I'm not certain of my reading, but I think the reverse legend could be MAIO-NWN, which would confirm that there's no legend on the obverse.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Maionia Herakles/Omphale
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 07:31:46 am »
Here is mine for comparision.

Offline Dapsul

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 09:54:34 am »
There are 5 or 6 legend variants of this coin. Lars' is SNG Kop 27 222 and 223 and SNG Aulock 3011.

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 09:58:42 am »
Thank you Frank!

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 11:04:23 am »

Here's another Maionian Omphale; any leads on a reference for this legend (obv. perhaps APPA / rev. ...OC MAIONIWN)?

[Edit 8/21/09: Since it's used with the only recorded right-facing obverse for these Omphale issues, the reverse legend found on my coin would appear to be EPI P'ILOPATOROS MAIONWN, Isegrim refs. SNG Cop. 27 214 and Imhoof-Blumer, Lydische Stadtmünzen 92.1 (no obverse legend noted for either coin).  For additional versions of this type now see also  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=49390.msg346375#msg346375.]
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 01:09:07 am »
I just got one of these for my own, and I am happy to have it, but I'd rather tell everyone to go to page 3 of Jochen's mythology thread for his new-and-improved one, though Lars also has a nice one.  What I can contribute is the very ambitious, and doubtless expensive, wall painting from Pompeii, from the plate in Pfuhl's Malerei und Zeichnung der Griechen (actually scanned from the one-volume English edition).  The darker band across the middle is due to its being a double-spread plate, across a quarto book, so that it barely fits my flatbed scanner (which is 18 inches long); therefore, too, I have had to reduce it to post it here.  But ancient pictures of Herakles and Omphale are rare.  This one must have come from a very expensive house (the earliest digging at Pompeii recorded NOTHING), but its style is grossière, however painstaking, and the taste, even of the original, may not have pleased cultivated persons: perhaps Trimalchio would like it best.
The Lydian coin, on the contrary, is graceful and subtle, hard as it is to get a perfect one.
Pat L.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 08:53:43 am »

A right-facing obverse also exists with a simple MAIONWN reverse legend; with http://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/9330/ see my specimen below, 20mm, 4.5g:

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 09:13:40 am »
I've got a right-facing one like that as well:

Lydia, Maionia, Heracles / Omphale, AE20
AE20, 4.89g
obv: bearded head of Herakles right
rev: ΜΑΙΟΝΩΝ; Omphale advancing right, wearing lion skin and holding club over shoulder

SNG München 303; BMC Lydia p. 129, 17 ff. var (head left); Lindgren 749 (head left); SNG v. Aulock 3011 var (head left); SNG Leypold 1053 var (head left)

ex FORVM
Andreas Reich

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 10:07:02 am »

Thanks for posting this, Andreas, a nice specimen, and apparently from the same dies as the coin in Reply #6.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity