Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Maionia Herakles/Omphale  (Read 3513 times)

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Maionia Herakles/Omphale
« on: May 12, 2006, 07:00:19 am »
I received this specimen of a Maionia Herakles coin today, depicting the interesting Omphale with Herakles' attributes on the reverse. The background of this issue can be learned in Jochen's wonderful mythological thread: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=25089.50 (third posting) My coin is not spectacular, but the rather nice Herakles head compensates for the worn reverse - I'm happy with it!

Maionia AE19, imperial times.
Obv: bearded head of Herakles left.
Rev: legend around Omphale, advancing right, holding lion skin, and club across shoulder.
Ø 18-19 mm, 3.62 g.

I doubt that my coin is from the very same issue as Jochen's; even with a magnifier, I can't see any trace of obverse legend. I'm not certain of my reading, but I think the reverse legend could be MAIO-NWN, which would confirm that there's no legend on the obverse.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Maionia Herakles/Omphale
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 07:31:46 am »
Here is mine for comparision.

Offline Dapsul

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 09:54:34 am »
There are 5 or 6 legend variants of this coin. Lars' is SNG Kop 27 222 and 223 and SNG Aulock 3011.

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 09:58:42 am »
Thank you Frank!

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 11:04:23 am »

Here's another Maionian Omphale; any leads on a reference for this legend (obv. perhaps APPA / rev. ...OC MAIONIWN)?

[Edit 8/21/09: Since it's used with the only recorded right-facing obverse for these Omphale issues, the reverse legend found on my coin would appear to be EPI P'ILOPATOROS MAIONWN, Isegrim refs. SNG Cop. 27 214 and Imhoof-Blumer, Lydische Stadtmünzen 92.1 (no obverse legend noted for either coin).  For additional versions of this type now see also  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=49390.msg346375#msg346375.]
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 01:09:07 am »
I just got one of these for my own, and I am happy to have it, but I'd rather tell everyone to go to page 3 of Jochen's mythology thread for his new-and-improved one, though Lars also has a nice one.  What I can contribute is the very ambitious, and doubtless expensive, wall painting from Pompeii, from the plate in Pfuhl's Malerei und Zeichnung der Griechen (actually scanned from the one-volume English edition).  The darker band across the middle is due to its being a double-spread plate, across a quarto book, so that it barely fits my flatbed scanner (which is 18 inches long); therefore, too, I have had to reduce it to post it here.  But ancient pictures of Herakles and Omphale are rare.  This one must have come from a very expensive house (the earliest digging at Pompeii recorded NOTHING), but its style is grossière, however painstaking, and the taste, even of the original, may not have pleased cultivated persons: perhaps Trimalchio would like it best.
The Lydian coin, on the contrary, is graceful and subtle, hard as it is to get a perfect one.
Pat L.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 08:53:43 am »

A right-facing obverse also exists with a simple MAIONWN reverse legend; with http://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/9330/ see my specimen below, 20mm, 4.5g:

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 09:13:40 am »
I've got a right-facing one like that as well:

Lydia, Maionia, Heracles / Omphale, AE20
AE20, 4.89g
obv: bearded head of Herakles right
rev: ΜΑΙΟΝΩΝ; Omphale advancing right, wearing lion skin and holding club over shoulder

SNG München 303; BMC Lydia p. 129, 17 ff. var (head left); Lindgren 749 (head left); SNG v. Aulock 3011 var (head left); SNG Leypold 1053 var (head left)

ex FORVM
Andreas Reich

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 10:07:02 am »

Thanks for posting this, Andreas, a nice specimen, and apparently from the same dies as the coin in Reply #6.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity