Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: "1.4 tonnes of old coins"  (Read 3169 times)

Offline rjohara

• Consul
  • Once long ago the Milesians were brave.
    • Ancient Greek Coins of Miletus
"1.4 tonnes of old coins"
« on: March 31, 2006, 09:56:56 pm »
I don't know if they are all ancient, but I do know this guy's coin collection is a lot bigger than mine.

virtvsprobi

Re: "1.4 tonnes of old coins"
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 01:30:35 pm »
You must be talking about Lam Dzu Xenh. While 1.4 tonnes is fairly easy to do with Chinese cash it'd be quite the "achievement" with Milesian fractions!
That'd likely be owning all of them! Ha, ha!

I've heard of another guy, a Chinese businessman, that also gave the size of his collection at something like a ton. That is fairly absurd, if you ask me.
But these early Chinese spade and fish coins are pretty hefty! ;D  :o

Missong's monumental collection of Probus coins (~14000 pieces) weighs in at something around 60 kg

G/<

Offline Roma_Orbis

• Consul
  • ad avgvsta per angvsta
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 06:05:14 pm »
Missong's monumental collection of Probus coins (~14000 pieces) weighs in at something around 60 kg

Imagine that: some 12-15 years ago, some metal-detectorists in France found 200 kg of Sestertii from Postumus :o, the kind of hoard that goes (and actually went) unrecorded (with no chance to study it), for obvious greedy reasons :-[
Their car was so loaded on the return that the rear was close to the ground.

Well, I would anyway exchange 200 kg of Sestertii against 2 or 3 Aurei of Postumus ;)

Jérôme

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 05:06:37 pm »
I wouldn't! Think how much more you could learn with 200Kg of coins to study. The problem would be finding the time to do it. That's what, maybe 30 000 coins?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Roma_Orbis

• Consul
  • ad avgvsta per angvsta
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 06:11:43 pm »
Well, for study, this is a great occasion (around 200/0.025=8000 coins). For a collection, I'll choose the Aurei: less encumbering! And I love the Postumus gold ::)

Jérôme

All coins are guaranteed for eternity