Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need Help Identifying Small Silver Coins  (Read 928 times)

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Need Help Identifying Small Silver Coins
« on: March 30, 2006, 12:12:21 am »
I bought a lot of 37 uncleaned silver coins that I have been slowly cleaning.  I have 9 of them that I think are the same.  I hope someone can help me identify them.  The following are their weights and sizes.

1. 2.25 grams, 10mm x 10mm
2. 2.01 grams, 9mm x 10mm
3. 1.96 grams, 9mm x 10mm
4. 2.13 grams, 10mm x 12mm
5. 2.21 grams, 12mm x 12mm
6. 1.58 grams, 14mm x 8mm
7. 1.95grams, 12mm x 10mm
8. 2.25 grams, 10mm x 9mm
9. 1.33 grams, 9mm x 10mm

It is interesting that it looks like they were cut from a flatten wire of silver.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can provide me any information or leads.

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
Re: Need Help Identifying Small Silver Coins
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 04:39:03 am »
Hi Howard

Like I said in an email to you before. These are Mamluk Fractural Dirhams or Half Dirhems. To Id them is very difficult because most of the legends have been clipped or cut as you spotted.

Clipping was done in order to melt the metal which was used for jewelery for example.

Best wishes,
Burak

All coins are guaranteed for eternity