Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unlisted Constantine II with Cross Mintmark?  (Read 1544 times)

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
Unlisted Constantine II with Cross Mintmark?
« on: March 26, 2006, 07:06:02 am »
On the surface, a common coin in excellent condition, but it appears to have a cross between the two standards. The mintmark in the exergue is difficult to read but could be R*B. I cannot find any similar mintmark listed. Anyone out there got something similar?

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Unlisted Constantine II with Cross Mintmark?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 07:20:14 am »
Perhaps RIC (Aquileia) 125, p407?

Steve

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 07:41:05 am »
Thanks Steve!

How did I miss that one  ::)

I first thought it was a listed but scarce mintmark, then looked it up on Helvetica's pages and could not find it.

I have now checked in my RIC as you advised and have found it. I shouldn't rush to post!

Still a nice find. Another one from the Nether Compton hoard.

Lee

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 08:43:51 am »
Having checked again, I now see they are listed on Helvetica. My poor eyesight mistaking them for an asterisk!

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 09:26:53 am »
This mark was only used on Gloria Exercitvs, not on the contemporary Constantinopolis & Vrbs Roma, although the following Aquileia "F" issue included all three active types.

On some of these the cross consists of a serif'ed "T" with a large round dot making the top "upright" (this is the only way Guido Bruck's "Die Spatromische Kupferpragung.." depicts it - see also Num. Chron. 1997), but on others it's clearly a two crossed lines construction. It's not obvious what was the cannonical form, or the intention - a T, some form of cross (commissa/imissa/?) , or possibly a deliberately ambiguous symbol?

Given Constantine's prediliction for T-F control marks, I've wondered if these consequetive marks should be taken that way, but on balance I'm more inclined to assume it was meant as a some type of cross. We do also sometimes see what appears to be a deliberate long cross (vs the more common "+" greek cross) on the emperor's standard of the Fel Temp "2 captives" type.

From what I can recall it was at one of the church councils during Constantine's time that the cross was formally adopted as a Christian symbol - earlier it had been rejected by the apologist Minucius Felix as being a pagan symbol, and it seems quite likely that it's use as a Christian symbol grew out of it's existing usage taking adavantage of the crux immissa symbolism, notwithstanding the crux simplex (stauros) originally attested in the bible (& depicted in some early engravings).

Ben

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 09:44:26 am »
Ben

Thanks for the references. I recently bought a copy of Num.Chron. 1997 but hadn't had time to look at it yet.

I will now!

Lee

All coins are guaranteed for eternity