Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: COL VIM Moesia exergues  (Read 3479 times)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
COL VIM Moesia exergues
« on: March 07, 2003, 06:46:36 pm »
Ave to all,

I am very interested in the meaning of the exergues found on Colonia Viminacium issues.

None of my books detail the meaning of the beginning AN followed by any series of Roman numerals.

I'm guessing that the AN may stand for ANNO? And the following number....?  As I sell a few of these coins on occasion, I'd very much like to more about them.

I have no doubt that many others are puzzled by meaning of the exergue. This seems like a good place to clear the issue.

Joe, Alex, Rugs, Ken, LB, EC, JD, et al...?

Thanks,

K
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
Re:COL VIM Moesia exergues
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2003, 07:17:00 pm »
The letters refer to the Colonial Era of Viminacium. e.g. AN IIII = year 4 of the Colonial Era of Viminacium = A.D.242/3 in the reign of Gordian III.
AN V = year 5 = A.D.244 (in the reign of Philip I).
And so on.

D.A.  :)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2003, 07:34:33 pm »
Ave,

So, does this mean that the Colony was founded in the year 239?

K

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2003, 04:18:27 am »
Hi Mayadigger,

No, it doesn't. It means that was the year Viminacium was awarded Colonial status. It has nothing to do with when it was founded which was a long time before that. It is a kind of civic award which greatly increased the prestige of the recipient. It is like upgrading a town to a city status which was recently done here in Scotland to Stirling and Inverness.

D.A.  :)

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Silver and Gold? -Yuck!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2003, 02:03:36 pm »
The precise starting date of the era of Viminacium has been much debated in the past, but the current bid seems to be around mid-summer 239.

Auto

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2003, 09:04:02 pm »
OK,

So an Aemilian with XIV in exergue would be 239 AD + 24 = 253 AD, which is exactly correct! Neat! ;D

Thanks all!

K

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Silver and Gold? -Yuck!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2003, 09:03:28 am »
Uhm. Actually ANI=239/240, ANII=240/241, ANIII=241/242, ANIIII=242/243, consequently ANXIIII=mid-252 to mid-253. I can't recall off hand when Aemilian was given what title, but maybe the dating can be narrowed down even further. I have a Volusian datable to within a few months.

Auto

All coins are guaranteed for eternity