Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Anyone Else trying for a complete Emperor/Empire collection?  (Read 12304 times)

basemetal

Re: Anyone Else trying for a complete Emperor/Empire collection?
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2006, 12:25:32 am »
I reiterate, from an ancient Viking oral tradition:

It takes much silver to acquire gold.

Offline Blindado

• Consul
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2006, 05:15:38 pm »
I have pondered this dilemma and arrived at the following solution for those of us who did not buy oodles of Microsoft stock decades ago: a "statistically complete" series of rulers. If we can obtain all but a few of the rulers we seek, we will have a complete collection, within the margin of error.  If one then proclaims, "I have done it!" it will be neither a lie nor a damned lie, but a statistic.

basemetal

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2006, 10:37:53 pm »
All of the above indicate that it's the striving....not the reaching.  Reach your goal...and voila!  There it is...the collection complete.  Look at it, fondle the coins....and then? Never forget that the coins are only inscribed lumps of metal.  It's the history behind them that drives us.
You'll soon have another goal  if you love ancient coins.
I'm a newbie and collect large coins of the 12 emperors (and shortly before  and after) and I find myself even now...looking at the trachys and thinking...mmm......

Offline Blindado

• Consul
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2006, 06:02:50 pm »
I have purchased this, carefully comparing photographs with published examples as the lettering is almost gone.  I hope nobody here will have the bad news that I have screwed up and have not finally obtained an Eugenius.

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2006, 06:28:23 pm »
Yip, you can also cheat by counting provincials (my Lucius Verus is sadly one of those but I like it!), those clunky Alexandrian billon drachms or Judean procurator coins...  That can knock out a few expensive coins like Nero quite cheaply... 

One of each major ruler, that's my goal, but yes, i cheat by using provicials too.  :)
SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Offline TLP

• Praetorian
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2006, 09:38:00 pm »
I have purchased this, carefully comparing photographs with published examples as the lettering is almost gone.  I hope nobody here will have the bad news that I have screwed up and have not finally obtained an Eugenius.

You have the real deal there.  :)

I'm trying (very slowly) to build up a nice collection of the severan dynasty and a copmlete collection of Maximinus's denarii... Plus whatever I find interesting  ;)

Offline Blindado

• Consul
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2006, 04:40:45 am »

You have the real deal there.  :)

I'm trying (very slowly) to build up a nice collection of the severan dynasty and a copmlete collection of Maximinus's denarii... Plus whatever I find interesting  ;)

Slightly off topic, but do you have a theory as to why at that time figures on the reverses of coins become shorter and wider relative to earlier styles?

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2006, 09:12:27 am »

A different style beard from my Eugenius so yours is probably from a different mint. Mine is Treveri (Trier).

Alex.

Offline TLP

• Praetorian
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2006, 10:10:58 am »
Slightly off topic, but do you have a theory as to why at that time figures on the reverses of coins become shorter and wider relative to earlier styles?

What exactly do you mean? That your coin is clipped or something else?

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2006, 11:01:00 am »
My first Roman coin I got from my father in 1963 and I still have this ugly Maximianus ant. Later I went into collecting Dutch coins of the period 1578 - 1795 but sold it all to be able to buy Romans offered by a big banking house. That was in 1976.
My original goal was to get every denomination of every emperor/relative, gold excluded, until Diocletian's reform at the end of the third century. That collection is still there, be it far from complete. Later I amassed some Republican coins, some Greek and since about a year I collect folles and other denominations of the fourth century.
My main speciality is the first two years of Antoninus Pius as the history of what the man did during this time, is really of interest. On the way I picked up quite a few coins that are not in RIC or even anywhere else!
Money is always the determining factor in what I buy. The Eugenius coin I let go by as it is slightly off my topic of interest and was (of course!) recognised by someone else (congrats Blindado!).

Frans

Offline Blindado

• Consul
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2006, 06:39:25 pm »

What exactly do you mean? That your coin is clipped or something else?

No, no, I mean on the Severan coins the people depicted on reverses look short and squat.

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2006, 07:40:01 pm »
Hi Blindado!

This phenomena too is often seen on coins where the emperor is depicted sitting on his horse!

Best regards

Offline Blindado

• Consul
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2006, 08:08:12 pm »

A different style beard from my Eugenius so yours is probably from a different mint. Mine is Treveri (Trier).

Alex.

Trier evidently produced the "pointy beard" style as well.

Offline Goodies

• Consul
  • Coins are like old newspapers.
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2006, 05:59:20 pm »
Hi,

I regard every seperate entry in Kampmann as "a topic" in my collection. Of the emperors, I still miss Otho, Galba, the 5-emperor year, Quietus, Macrianus, Nepotianus (indeed), Pupienus, Decentius (still, actually !), and everything after Honorius/Arcadus/Magnus.

The rarest (and one of the worst  ;D ) coins in my collection is Hannibalianus

Obscure usurpers exist.. I've found some rare portraits in the Imperatoeribus Romanus - Philip:

http://www.roman-emperors.org/philarab.htm

:)
Lex

Optimus

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2006, 06:06:25 pm »
My initial idea was also to collect the full emperor series, empresses included, but it later on morphed into something different. I understood that I cannot quickly complete this task and that just adding any coin of an emperor does not bring me pleasure. It has to be at least in Good Very Fine and in silver (yes, I know bronze has its defenders and with good reasons, but I am not one of them). On top of it I aim to collect aesthetically pleasing portrauts. This is why I sold a Hannibalianus in EF (bronze) and an Orbiana in Brilliant UNC (strange looking portrait) for which I am bitterly sorry now. On the other hand I managed to accumulate several great looking portraits from 1st-2nd c. A.D., and I especially like Trajan portraits. Go figure...

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2006, 07:11:30 pm »
I could never maintain my interest in a project like that. On the other hand, the more I get into Gallic Empire ants, the more interest I find in them. The same would go for any other series I really got into. Each to their own.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

peterpil19

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2006, 12:06:26 am »
It requires a high level of discipline to limit yourself to one of each, something I could never do...

Peter

Massanutten

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2006, 01:06:03 am »
  Actually, Robert, I agree with you even though I may be the prime example of a silly collection of Emperors and some of their ladies for over a period of four centuries!  My problem is that I have never been able to find a serious line of collecting that might shed some light on the historical truth of the Empire (I am a Gemini after all).  I keep falling into the kind of scheme like my collection of the Tetrarchy where the object was one each as Caesar and Augustus!  So what!!  All it demonstrates is that I was able to buy a coin.  It sheds nothing to the context of the coin to the person and the time it was minted.  I say "charge on" for your interest in the Gallic Empire!  Perhaps, some day, you will fill a numismatic gap!  Or more importantly, our understanding of the relation of the coin to its history!  
My best regards, Bob.

Offline Blindado

• Consul
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2006, 08:44:46 am »
It requires a high level of discipline to limit yourself to one of each, something I could never do...

Peter

Who said anything about only one of each? I also am slowly assembling sub-collections of great military campaigns, an time-lapse portrait series of Marcus Aurelius and Faustina Jr with significant lifetime events such as their marriage, roles of the emperor, views of death and immortality, and deities!

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2006, 11:47:51 am »
In Holland we have a saying, which is supposed to be explained kindly:
"Iedere gek heeft zijn gebrek"  = 'Every fool has his small defects'

This certainly applies to myself, too. Tonight I bought an Antoninus provincial (sorry P.Scipio) because of the Artemis reverse!
I should not have bought it, but us coinaholics sometimes can't help ourselves, can we?

Frans

Offline Blindado

• Consul
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2006, 12:19:19 pm »
Nor did I "need" this, Frans, but it was hard to pass up.

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2006, 03:25:21 pm »
Of course I understand you: a coin with a numismatic as well as a female attraction!
My latest buy is five minutes old: the very attractive portrait of a young boy from a scarce mint (I assume it is dot AQSdot = Aquileia 88 R2).
Freudian buy?

Frans

gavignano

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2006, 08:25:32 pm »
I too wonder whether I will get bored trying to assemble something that would be fiscally impossible - a full run of emperors. But I am still finding it fun. Now about specializations - I can't seem to make up my mind on which one. Finances preclude collecting gold or any significant silver. I'm thinking bronze, something Constantinian....so I can still find 5.00 coins on E bay, of which some may be a rare variety.
What might be the best book source on varieties if I do go the Constaninian route?  Joe

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2006, 04:17:12 am »
I am assembling a collection of Constantinian coins: every type of every ruler from every mint. That in itself is an enormous task and you must take care not to dive too deep into variations, as it will be an impossible task.
It is very affordable and goes fast: try buying lots of good quality, keep what you want and sell the rest separately. In this way it almost costs you nothing!
Before you start, make an inventory of what types of coins there are and how many you will 'need' to collect. Helvetica's lists are a good help there.

Frans

gavignano

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2006, 10:27:09 pm »
Frans - what an ambitious goal!! If not too personal a question, how far have you gotten?
I would estimate several thousand coins to collect, no? Of course depending on where you draw the line on varieties.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity