Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Minorsky's: Shaddadids of Ganja, Shaddadids of Ani, Prehistory of Salladin  (Read 1683 times)

Offline lv88

• Consul
    • Armenian Numismatic Page
HI All,

I recently purchased this publication by V. Minorsky:  "Studies in Caucatian History: I. Shaddadids of Ganja II. Shaddadids of Ani III. Prehistory of Salladin"

It is dated 1953 and out of print. It is still availible on Amazon, but prices are high. I finally got one for an OK price.

At first, I was unsure when I got the book wheteher it was worth the price. On a closer look, when I skimmed through the 174+ pages in the book, it was all the opposite, simply amazing.

Plus, there is : THE ARABIC TEXT OF THE CHAPTER ON SHADADIDS from MUNNEJIM-BASHI'S DUWAL AL-ISLAM (TOP-KAPI SARAYI MS. 2951).

Tjhere is a copy of the original arabic in the back and an english translation with connotations by author and much much more.

Greatly deals with this trivial Kurdish dynasty, and relationship with some of their contemporaries, that is, Armenians, Georgians, Byzantines, Seljuqs, and a number of other dynasties, a must have book.

I will surely write a review of this book soon.

Thoughts? Anyone else has the book? or ever considered it?

Best,
Levon

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
Hi

Ah you and your Shaddadids. Well, I would like to buy this book where can I find a cheap copy? Please advice. When is your book coming out?

Burak

Offline lv88

• Consul
Dear Burak,

Here is an example on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007ITPIS/qid=1141771128/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/104-8870434-3687969?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

I think it is ok. I was lucky to get mine for 50 dollars, but I am sure I might have bought it at this at this price of 95 too. It is really wonderful as it cites many sources and crtically analyzes the sources. I really think the price is worth it.

When is your book coming out?

Hmmm ....  I did not know I was writing a book, but if you are referring to Markov's book on the topic, I have no idea. I saw him in the NYINC, but he was rather busy. Perhaps I should have spoken to him in Russian ...  :)

Levon

Offline lv88

• Consul
BTW,

I am in the middle of redoing the Shaddadid page, and I wonder for any sugestions:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/armeniannumismatics/shaddadids.html
Best,
Levon

Ps Burak, Have you gotten my PM's?

Offline lv88

• Consul
OK finally finished re-doing page. Getting late now, yawn ...

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
Hi Levon

Looking very good. I am very happy with your website and will use it often.

Yes I got your pms, and I replied to you a while ago too.
I am also happy to see that you have joined the Islamic Coins Group finally.

Best wishes,
Burak

Offline lv88

• Consul
Thanks!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity