Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 18mm Mangir - Anonymous?  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Pep

• Magistratus Optima Lege VI
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
18mm Mangir - Anonymous?
« on: March 04, 2006, 08:04:33 am »
Hmm, I see quite a few anonymous mangirs turning up here recently.  I have another one myself now, or at least that is what I think it is based on the others.  It is completely blank on one side and thick at 4.77mm.  Its measurements are:  8.08g; 18.1mm; ?°.  Is there any specific reference for this one?

Thanks,

Kevin  :)

Manzikert

Re: 18mm Mangir - Anonymous?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 03:04:38 pm »
Hi Kevin

This is one of the early Ottoman coins from Egypt, after the conquest in 1517 (I think), but without the inscription on the reverse it will be impossible to give you a definite attribution: it could be any one of Suleiman I, Selim II, Muhammed III or Ahmad I, all of whom used these arabesque types.

The manghir seems the appropriate term for the smaller pieces, but  these Egyptian pieces are  much more substantial, so perhaps the general 'fals', 'fels' is more appropriate, though both just mean 'copper coin'.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 06:52:16 pm »
Hi

This is an Ottoman AE Mangir by Murad III. The date is either 982AH or 983AH. This type existed for both years. Alan is right with the mint of course.

Best wishes,
Burak

Offline Pep

• Magistratus Optima Lege VI
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 01:50:51 am »
Thank you Alan and Burak!

Kevin  :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity