Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > History and Archeology

Punishment for cowardice or disobediance in the Roman Army

(1/6) > >>

basemetal:
The courage of the Roman Legions is legendary.
Any ideas on the punishments for dereliction of duty, cowardice in the face of the enemy, or even simple failure in battle? (besides the ultimate one that any soldier faces-death or imprisonment by the enemy) 
I mean any published or verified not just the assumption of punishable by death that we may seem to assume?
Modern armies (at least through WWII) had severe punishments for any of the above.
Also the punishment for way simple screw ups in the performance of duty by Roman Soldiers?

wolfgang336:
There was decimation... every tenth man is killed (on the cross?).

Evan

mdelvalle:
Basemetal, I hope to make myself understand, as I have understood the loyalty of the army was reinforced by the oath (sacrament) of fidelity and obedience to the superiors and of not deserting of the battle. The discipline lacks were punished according to their graveness with the suspension of the salary, with lashes or until with the death. The punishment for complete units consisted on decimating them, that is to say, to apply the death penalty to one of each ten legionaries.
Mario

vic9128:

--- Quote from: wolfgang336 on March 03, 2006, 10:42:08 pm ---There was decimation... every tenth man is killed (on the cross?).

--- End quote ---

every tenth man (usually applied in a cohort) was selected by lot to be clubbed or stoned to death by his remaining comrades. A smaller punishment (like being fed barley instead of wheat) was given to the rest. There were actually only a few instances were decimation was carried out (it tended to make the commander very unpopular).

basemetal:
Thank you all so much.  I knew of the decimation technique.
It was used in WWI by the French for cowardace in battle because some soldiers refused to charge the German trenches  which were defended by machine guns. 
One man was subjected to firing squad while lashed to a stretcher.
I also saw on an historical presentation on the History Channel that the other legionaires were sometimes ordered to stone or beat to death percieved "cowards".

Fact is like most disiplinarmies in history, the roman legions fought to the death for whatever reason.

Again I bring up the (I cannot supply the exact verification) that an historian wrote:
"The barbarians consist of "warriors". Renouned in battle, having killed many enemies. Fearsome to their kinsmen and legendary among their tribe.
Capering heros that are but meat to the swords of the _____th Legion.
When the barbarians attack all plan and preparation is lost to the lust of battle. Their leaders they ignore in the heat of battle and push forward valianlty to secure "honor" and "renoun" for themselves.
They die first upon the spears of the Legions. 
The remainder attack as an undisiplined mob (or run away) and are slaughtered."
As a military veteran and as a student of history I am still dismayed by the modern protrayal of modern soldiers as "warriors" made popular by the press and military recriutment.
A Legionare would have done two things if you had addressed him as a "warrior".
Laughed and turned away, or killed you on the spot (unless you had the protection of the roman officers). Real soldiers of whatever age were and are not stupid.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version