Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nikopolis ad Istrum, Septimius Severus, crescent and star reverse ID?  (Read 1331 times)

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Hello,
I hope I attributed this coin correctly, I found only one exact match for both obverse and reverse legend,
although it's a good 1.5 mm bigger. Is this my coin?
(1st is mine, 2nd from Coinarchives)

Thanks

Andreas

16.5 mm, 2.2 g

Also, what does AMNG I, 1, 387, 1440 mean?
Is it volume I, page 387, number 1440 of AMNG and would AMNG 1440 be a unique reference number by itself?

http://www.coinarchives.com/a/lotviewer.php?LotID=100960&AucID=109&Lot=356

Andreas Reich

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Nikopolis ad Istrum, Septimius Severus, crescent and star reverse ID?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 06:14:41 pm »
Pick AMNG I, 1, nos. 1436-1441 are the crescents with one star; there are multiple specimens (known a century ago) for each of those, and I daresay there are other dies as well now.  Then there are the crescents with two to seven stars.  These coins are to be studied in the same terms as campgates.  Nicopolis is not the only city, nor Thrace-Moesia Inferior the only region, to mint them.  In some sense I suppose it's Septimius's luck or destiny.  Pat L.
Die antiken Münzen Nord-Griechenlands, I, 1.
Your coin has the same obv. legend as 1440, but as you see it's a different die; 1440 has the same* rev. legend as the CoinArchives one, so that, for once, 1440 is probably an accurate and adequate ID for it.  Yours has an entirely different, continuous, rev. legend, which agrees with those of 1438, which does not guarantee that they'd look alike.  A one-star crescent might even have have the same obv. die as some multiple-star crescent or some other subject altogether.
Did you notice that 1440 accidentally omits the rho but ends in omega, whereas yours and 1438 ends in pros istr , leaving you to guess whether he was thinking omega or omicron (probably the latter, which is commoner)?

*Steve Minnoch kindly called to my attention that even ending in omega without the preceding rho is no proof that Pick 1440 is the same coin as the CoinArchives one, since 1440 does not spell out NIKOPOLITÔN but instead found space only for NIKOPOLI.  I do think one could assemble (as my allusion to Campgates suggests) more dies for these than you'd care to count, but I don't have many myself.  Wouldn't mind getting a seven-star one (Pick 1431) of which he knew only a single specimen, no. 840 in Postolakas' wonderful Athens catalogue, one of the most careful in descriptions in the whole 19th century.

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 04:03:09 am »
Thank you Pat (and Steve).
How would you reference it then? 'Similar to 1438', '1438 var', or what?

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 11:56:40 am »
I would 'reference' (what is the verb for that???) it, "Cf. AMNG I, 1, pp. 387-388, nos. 1436-1441" so long as it is a crescent and a single star for Septimius.  If you have the book, you can make comparisons of legends and hope that the match is otherwise true, too.  If you look on line, you may find a match with the images, but the 'referencing' is always likely to be pseudo-exact, one of the worst and most lmisleading kinds of falsehood and one which if you put it up on line someone else can copy again, which would be as much your fault as hisPatricia Lawrence

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 03:50:34 pm »
I am not in a position to add anything of import over what Pat has stated but I can concur with the conclusion that there seems to be a whole load of variations with these.
Mine gives NIKOPOLITON PROC ICTPO, whic I simply have as AMNG 1440 var. since I couldn't think what elese to do at the time.

Regards,
Martin

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 04:23:26 pm »
Well, now I know better.  ;)
Your coin is nicer, mine is a little too shiny.
But time will cure that.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity