Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help w/ bust on each side...  (Read 1031 times)

Offline newone

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Help w/ bust on each side...
« on: January 24, 2006, 09:40:49 pm »
AE19 KIA N on one side.  ANPWE on the other. Looks like an O under a :Greek_Gamma: to the right of one bust. Have looked a bit but to no avail. Any ideas?? ThankS...
May our troops return home safely.........only through their bravery, dedication and diligence are we able to freely post on this site.

Offline postvmvs

• Praetorian
Re: Help w/ bust on each side...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 10:05:29 pm »
Maybe this? (I'm having trouble reading the legend from the picture)

Pergamum Civic coinage Æ17. 1st Century AD.  :Greek_Theta: EON CY NK :Greek_Lambda: HTON, draped bust of the Roman senate right /  :Greek_Theta: EON P :Greek_Omega: MHN, draped bust of Roma right. Sear 4910.
--postvmvs
(Not to be confused with 'postumus' spelled with 'u')

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 10:08:07 pm »
The obv could read (theta)EA CYNK(lambda)HTON/HTOC, bust of the senate. (or IEPA?)

It could be part of a series of coins from Pergamum that have the senate on the obv, Roma on the rev, though not it seems one covered in the first 2 volumes of RPC which is as far as my references go on this.

Steve

Edit: as you can see postumus and I came at it from the same angle, but the legend on your coin is too long to be read as with the Sear coin postumus quotes, and the obv slightly out.  If it is Pergamum, it probably has the name of a magistrate.  If KPA as part of the rev legend, then maybe Nacrasa in Lydia.

P.S.
Any chance of a better image?

Offline newone

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 01:45:49 am »
IS the image too dark? On my screen it seems to be Okay. I'll try and angle the shots so there will be more contrast on the letters.
Sounds like an unusual coin - no wonder I couldn't find it easily.
May our troops return home safely.........only through their bravery, dedication and diligence are we able to freely post on this site.

Offline newone

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 02:03:20 am »
I think you can see the letters better on these. I hope...

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 03:00:46 am »
Yes, that helps some - but only to a point, at least for me.

I'd say IEPA CYN-K(lambda)HTON  (or maybe substitute sigma for the N) is clear apart form that very last letter.

On the rev, starting just to the left of the point of the bust, seems to be
(theta)EAN P(omega) KPA....

I'm  tempted to interpret that as naming the goddess Roma and the start of the name of a magistrate (Cra...).  Maybe the Cratippos listed in Münsterberg for Pergamum?  That is going out on a limb, so I hope someone can confirm or correct me on that speculation.

Steve

All coins are guaranteed for eternity