Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 07:28:09 am
Search Calendar Login Register  

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Books and References (Moderator: Severus_Alexander)  |  Topic: What are you reading? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 14632 times)
virtvsprobi
« on: January 24, 2006, 01:23:49 am »

Having found a reference in another thread to a book by Philipp Blom "To have and to hold", I obtained it and enjoyed reading it. (Thanks for the tip, Jochen!)

What else are people reading? I'm of course not looking for responses such as "I'm reading RIC" Grin, but about any non-reference books that may be in some way pertinent to our interests here at the FORVM. Amendment I'd like to hear about interesting and illuminating books that would make us better and more educated collectors.

Cheers,

G/<

Commodo73
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 01:32:18 am »

Hi virtus,
I will start RAG Carson "Late roman bronze coinage " next days;
actually I'm reading "Monete Antiche" by l'Erma editor, a collection of articles from few writers.
Severus_Alexander
IMPERATOR
Praetorian

Hail Hail Severus Alexander!!

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 05:39:53 pm »

I'm currently reading and enjoying Godfrey Turton's The Syrian Princesses.  It's about the Severans and especially the women of the family.  I highly recommend it a book that is both informative and enjoyable to read.

Thank you.
vic9128
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 06:14:22 pm »

Here are my required texts for this semester.

Medieval History:

WESTERN EUROPE IN MIDDLE AGES, Tierney
CHRISTIANIZING THE ROMAN EMPIRE AD 100-400, Macmullen
CHRISTIANITY AND PAGANISM, Macmullen
FIRST CRUSADE, Runciman
FIRST CRUSADERS; 1095-1131, Riley-Smith
DISCOVERING THE MEDIEVAL PAST, Wiesner
GREAT FAMINE, Jordan
FIRST CRUSADE & IDEA OF CRUSADING, Riley-Smith
RISE OF WESTERN CHRISTENDOM, Brown

RENAISSANCE AND REFORMATION EUROPE:

Cassier, The Renaissance Philosophy of Man: Petrach, Vall, Ficino, Pico, Pomponazi, Vives
Machiavelli, Discourses on Livy
Castiglione, The Book of the Courtier
Rabelais, Gargantua and Pantagruel
Erasmus, In Praise of Folly & Other Writings
Luther, Martin Luther: Selections from His Writings
Montaigne, Apology for Raymond Sebond
Van Gelderen, The Dutch Revolt
Finocchiaro, The Galileo Affair

I will be a little busy!

David Atherton
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

The meaning of life can be found in a coin.

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 06:22:23 pm »

I'm reading The Roman Cavalry by Karen R. Dixon and Pat Southern and rereading Severan Period' target='_blank'>Septimus Severus by Anthony R. Birley.

Cheers, David

My Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/2cgd8r
Bill Perry
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 07:19:08 pm »

I'm starting to reread all of Colleen McColough's books - "First Man in Rome" and currently on "The Grass Crown". Hope I spelled that right Smiley
Magistra
Praetorian

Latin is FUN!!!

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 07:19:45 pm »

Silver Pigs by Lindsey Davis with my Latin IV-V class.
Magistra

Lingua Latina vivit!
David Atherton
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

The meaning of life can be found in a coin.

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 09:21:32 pm »

Magistra,

Are you enjoying the book?  I read a few of Lindsey Davis' Falco series and couldn't get past the modern vernacular that she uses throughout the series. In short, the books did not transport me back to ancient RomeSad

Cheers, David

My Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/2cgd8r
Bill Perry
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 09:04:16 am »

I enjoyed the Falco series as a pure mystery fun type of book. Though "Gordianus the Finder" series was more to the historical sense in a mystery book of ancient roman times. So basically if you want a new set of books to read that are historical fiction but based on true history - I'd read the following series (ordered in historical accuracy in their portrayals):

Colleen McCullough - "The First Man in Rome" series - if you want the latin words and the true historical setting - this is your series.

Steven Saylor - "Gordianus the Finder" series - a detective story with good historical background research in the writing - very enjoyable.

Lindsey Davis - "Falco" series - 1940's style detective story set in ancient roman times - think Roman Subura Smiley
slokind
Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Art is an experimental science

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 12:54:26 pm »

Twice, I couldn't get through Silver Pigs, either.  I felt that it just exploited Rome: you gotta get a gimmick.  If that's unjust, notice that I used the eff-word, felt.  It is not a judgment.  My students kept recommending it, saying that they 'felt' that it 'made Rome interesting'.  I kept telling them that Petronius was more 'interesting'.  Pat L.
virtvsprobi
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 01:38:12 pm »

OK, Pat. Now that we know what you are not reading, what are you reading?

Since you have used the eff word, I'm now disinclined towards Oinkion Argyrion.

G/<
slokind
Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 04:30:16 pm »

I'm reading Walter Burkert's Homo Necans and Gaston H. Halsberghe's The Cult of Sol Invictus.  In both cases, better late than never.  Pat L.
Do you have a recommendation on Sol Invictus that is sound, to supplement Halsberghe?
virtvsprobi
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2006, 05:57:09 pm »

No, I don't. I haven't read Halsberghe's work and I think for me it is a must!

Surprisingly, I haven't ever read that much about Sol Invictus, and for some reason most of 2005 was spent on Julio-Claudians!

G/<
wolfgang336
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Aut Caesar Aut Nullus

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2006, 06:02:11 pm »

Currently:

GP Baker's "Sulla the Fortunate"
Tacitus' "The Histories"
Marcus Aurelius "Meditations"

Not of a numismatic nature:

Chopin's "The Awakening"
Orwell's "1984"
Lloyd Axworthy's "Navigating a New World- Canada's Global Future"
Evan

Ghengis Jon
Caesar

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2006, 06:09:04 pm »

Brain Candy - Dean Koontz "Frankenstein" trilogy. (Can't wait for vol 3 this summer)

A break from all the non-fiction and Terry Pratchett.

Don't buy uncleaneds from ebay's ancientcoinman - 70% slugs and NO returns!
virtvsprobi
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2006, 06:29:11 pm »

I don't think Dean Koontz qualifies as relevant to "our interests here at the FORVM".

I started this thread in the hopes of hearing about interesting and illuminating books that would make us better and more educated collectors.

Partially my fault, I should have made that more explicit at the beginning of the thread.

I'm not sorry if I'm coming down on pulp fiction like a ton of... books. Grin

G/<
slokind
Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2006, 08:42:30 pm »

G/<
Halsberghe is Leiden (Brill) 1972.
Pat L.
virtvsprobi
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2006, 09:40:27 pm »

Thanks Pat, but I'm faster than you!  Grin 

I'm back home from the library and the "Cult" is one of the titles I trundled over in my book cart. (It takes 6 oxen to pull the thing!)

I spent most of the day poring over the Barrington Atlas, which they won't let me take home! Oh, the pain! There should be at least 10 copies, not one!
However, I do understand that even U of Toronto would feel the price as a wallop to their wallet!

G/<
Retrospectator
Consul

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2006, 05:00:47 am »

Quote from: Victor on January 24, 2006, 06:14:22 pm
CHRISTIANIZING THE ROMAN EMPIRE AD 100-400, Macmullen

I haven't read this although I am tempted by the title. I would be interested to see what you think about it. Smiley

For my part, I've just started reading :Lives of The Later Caesars - the Penguin paperback translation of 'The Augustan History'.

I am something of an Inglese Italianato.
Pscipio
Tribunus Plebis 2009
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2006, 05:38:46 am »

Currently:

• Senate and General, Individual decision making and Roman foreign relations 264-194 BC, A. M. Eckstein (3rd time I read it) - Crucial book for the understanding of Roman foreign policy in the 3. century BC.
• Consules, Untersuchungen zur Geschichte des Römischen Konsulates von 264-201 v. Chr., A. Lippold - good in combination with Eckstein.
• Asterix und Obelix, der Kupferne Kessel, Goscinny&Uderzo - like all Asterix&Obelix books an absolute must if you want to understand the relations between the Gallics and the Romans  Wink

Lars

Retrospectator
Consul

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2006, 06:02:51 am »

Currently:

• Asterix und Obelix, der Kupferne Kessel, Goscinny&Uderzo - like all Asterix&Obelix books an absolute must if you want to understand the relations between the Gallics and the Romans  Wink

Lars

Absolutely! I would have hated to be a legionary stationed at Aquarium, Totorum, Laudanum or Compendium. What did you think about Asterix & The Falling Sky?

Pscipio
Tribunus Plebis 2009
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2006, 06:07:52 am »

What did you think about Asterix & The Falling Sky?

Do you know its title in German? I think I have read them all and there is none with the title "der fallende Himmel" or something like that.

Lars

Retrospectator
Consul

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2006, 06:12:44 am »

Do you know its title in German? I think I have read them all and there is none with the title "der fallende Himmel" or something like that.

Lars

Hi Lars,

It's this one: Gallien In Gefahr

Pscipio
Tribunus Plebis 2009
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2006, 06:15:35 am »

A new one!  Shocked I didn't know about. Actually, I didn't keep me up to date 'cause I didn't like the last two ones, "Obelix auf Kreuzfahrt", and "Asterix und Latraviata".

Lars

Retrospectator
Consul

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2006, 06:21:01 am »

It came out in mid-October. IMHO It is well drawn but it is Uderzo's biggest voyage into fantasy yet. It has its moments, but it's a long way from those Goscinny-Uderzo days. In truth, I didn't enjoy it that much, although I'm glad that Uderzo is still producing Asterix. Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Books and References (Moderator: Severus_Alexander)  |  Topic: What are you reading? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop