Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Grierson, Medieval Coin Scholar, Dead at 95  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Follibus Fanaticus

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
Grierson, Medieval Coin Scholar, Dead at 95
« on: January 18, 2006, 04:21:24 am »
Phillip Grierson Dead at 95

The following is a press release from Dumbarton Oaks, Washington, D.C.  Check  the Reply Number 26 in "The Papal Corner" for a personal remembrance of this great man,

Follibus Fanaticus

---Press Release  to the Washington Ancient Numismatic Society begins---------------

Cecile Morrisson forwarded the message below. 

It is with great sadness that I write to inform you of the death on Sunday, January 15, of Philip Grierson, Emeritus Professor of Numismatics at the University of Cambridge, at age 95. During his long and distinguished career, Philip had a special association with Dumbarton Oaks, a place that he loved deeply, to which he made many scholarly contributions, and where he made many lasting friends. He served as Advisor in Byzantine Numismatics from 1953-1998, and was primarily responsible for the acquisition of the Dumbarton Oaks  Byzantine coin collection.  He also was responsible in large part for the publication of this collection in a series of five volumes (in particular, vol. 2 in two parts, on Phocas to Theodosius IIIvol. 3 in two parts on Leo III to Nicephorus III; and vol. 5 on the Palaiologan dynasty), plus an additional volume (with Melinda Mays) on the late Roman coins from Arcadius and Honorius to the accession of Anastasius.

In 1999, shortly after his retirement as Advisor in Byzantine Numismatics, Philip was honored by Dumbarton Oaks with a colloquium on „Byzantium in the Medieval World: Monetary Transactions and Exchange‰; at the same time he was recognized with a special exhibit of coins from the Dumbarton Oaks collection.

Philip remained active until a few weeks before his death, continuing to work on the monumental publication (Medieval European Coinage) of his own personal collection of medieval coins, which he had donated to the Fitzwilliam Museum. He will long be remembered for his wide-ranging erudition, his love of books, music and movies, his conviviality and engaging conversation, and will be greatly missed by his many friends.

Sincerely,

Alice-Mary, Director of Byzantine Studies, Dumbarton Oaks

Follibus Fanaticus

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Re: Grierson, Medieval Coin Scholar, Dead at 95
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 11:30:28 am »
I am so sorry to hear of his passing, his work has enabled many of us to enjoy and understand this hobby.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 03:45:05 pm »
I enclose Dr. Grierson’s obit from the Manchester Guardian.

Follibus Fanaticus

Neil McKendrick
Wednesday January 18, 2006
The Guardian

Professor Philip Grierson, who has died aged 95, was that very rare combination - a world-class collector and a world-class scholar of coins. With his death, the Fitzwilliam Museum has lost one of its leading benefactors and Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, has lost one of the last surviving ornaments of the great and dying tradition of the bachelor fellow resident in college.

Grierson was born in Dublin, where his surveyor father was a member of the Irish land commission. Philip was educated at Marlborough college, Wiltshire, went to Cambridge in 1929 and stayed for the rest of his life. At Caius, he was, in turn, junior fellow, college lecturer and director of studies in history, librarian, professorial fellow, president, life fellow and, finally, senior fellow.
     From his austere set of rooms overlooking the market place, into which he moved in the mid-1930s, he produced an unrivalled flow of numismatic scholarship and entertained more undergraduates than almost any other member of his college. Scholars revered him for his learning and research; colleagues liked him for his encyclopaedic knowledge and sense of fun; and students, who were in awe of his longevity and his academic reputation, loved him because he shared their taste in food, films, music and literature.

Pizza, puddings and sausages were the kind of food he liked; populist films were his favourite fare; science fiction was his preferred literary diet. A library of more than 2,000 videos attracted an endless stream of students to his rooms; his liking for horror films almost equalled his liking for science fiction.
   He played squash well into his 80s and finally gave up so as not to hurt the feelings of the soundly beaten undergraduates, some 60 years his junior.
   Yet this was the man who formed the finest representative collection of medieval European coins in the world, some 20,000 specimens, which he has bequeathed to the Fitzwilliam. Estimates of their value vary but "between £5m and £10m" was Grierson's own, formed by prudent buying over 60 years, essentially from his salary as a university teacher.

His collection had a decisive effect on the direction of his research. He went up to Caius destined to read medicine, but immediately switched to history and did so well that he was awarded the Schuldham Plate, which is given to the leading college graduand chosen from all subjects. Although his earliest research had, rather surprisingly, been on ecclesiastical history and he had won the Lightfoot prize in theology, his work soon began to move decisively towards the use of coins as a major historical source.

Indeed, his academic reputation as a medieval historian rests on coins and their interpretation. He showed historians how little they understood of this fundamental historical source, and equally showed numismatists how little they knew of the world from which their coins have come. If his contribution to history has been large, his contribution to numismatics has been unique...However, since non-numismatists tend to disparage such collections as no more than a higher form of stamp collecting, it is worth pointing out how important the evidence provided by the coinage of past societies can be in the hands of a master.

A single example might suffice to underline Grierson's inspired use of numismatic evidence dramatically to resolve a major historical controversy. This was that which raged over the historian Henri Pirenne's long-standing explanation of the survival of gold coinage in the west until the early 9th century and its replacement by silver for the next 500 years. For Pirenne, the disappearance of gold was the last act of the decline of Rome in the west, and its cause was the depredations of Islam. In 1960, Grierson published a recondite article on the monetary reforms of Caliph Abd al Malik and their financial consequences, which showed that they included a decisive shift in the relative value of silver and gold in the Islamic world, bringing about the flight of silver to the west and gold to the east. In doing so, he illuminated a major factor in the rise of monometallism that endured for five centuries in western Christendom.

Such work demanded a rare combination of skills involving mathematics, statistics, metallurgical analysis and an enviable range of languages and detailed historical knowledge. He never married.

· Philip Grierson, numismatist and academic, born November 15 1910; died January 15 2006

Follibus Fanaticus

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 06:03:11 pm »
Grierson's London Times Obit

I have a copy of The Times of London's obit for Dr. Grierson.  It is very long and very interesting.I had no idea, for example, he edited the "Shorter Cambridge Medieval History," the first book I usually consult on medieval topics.
I could:
1. Chop it into sections and post it on Forum.
2.  Send it privately.  Send e-mail that I can return.  The article names and spot reviews his major works on coins and history.  It is a gold mine for those seeking works on the period.
What say?

Follibus Fanaticus
Follibus Fanaticus

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 09:13:46 am »
I'm not sure if it's the same as the print version, but there's an online obit from the Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,60-2000352,00.html

I can't remember if registration is required for the Times, but if so it's free.

Incidently there's also an introductory book on numismatics "Numismatics" by Grierson, which Alan Stahl (ex. ANS curator, now at Princeton) recently recommended on Moneta-L. I just picked up a used copy on Amazon a couple of days before hearing of his death.

Ben

All coins are guaranteed for eternity