Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Canoe money - not really ancient, but different  (Read 13316 times)

Offline Bacchus

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
Canoe money - not really ancient, but different
« on: January 13, 2006, 03:05:09 am »
For a bit of variety, I think I'll post an article on different or curious money - perhaps once a month (?) - just to introduce people to the big wide world out there.  Some will be ancient - some less so...

No.1
Attached is a picture of an example of canoe money (also know as Lat Hoi money).  I purchased this of a very respected dealer in 1992 (for about £6 or so - I think - though it is still possible to pick them up for around that price) .

This form of money was used around the Mekong delta region - modern day Thailand.  Ingot money in this area is thought to have generally appeared in Menam Valley for the first time in early 14th century.  This one is 95mm long and is one of the middle period ones - later examples being shorter. The practice of making these probably ended with the establishment of the French Protectrate in 1889 (Ref. Mitchiner).  It is likely that these were used in spiritual offerings as well as commerce.

AE Lat
Copper / Bronze
Size 95 mm
Weight 53g
Early 18th C
Ref. Mitchiner 3018

This particular series consists of a series of unstamped billion or near copper/brass ingots. The slightly raised ends leads to the popular name of "canoe money".   They are not particually exciting (no dramatic poses of gods or personifications here) but they are curious. 

(Actually they are annoying to store as they don't fit into anything normally used for coins.)

All the best
-:Bacchus:-

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: Canoe money - not really ancient, but different
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 05:02:07 pm »
First, the Mekong delta is not in Thailand but instead in VietnamLat was mainly used in Laos between 1353 to 1889 A.D.  Most today are found in markets in Thailand. 

They come in the following forms:
  • Leech Money: Smooth top with no central depression having raised ends, with stamps on them; of good silver.  Usually in the weights of 18 grams, 36 grams and 72 grams. (1353-1571)
  • Tiger Tongue Money: have raised bumps like that found on a Tiger's tongue.  Usually has a stamp of an S character on it (sometimes called a snake, but it is not), but other characters can be found, in addition some are found with no stamps (usually later ones).  The following weights can be found; 60 grams, 90 grams, and 120 grams.  Most are of good silver, but the later ones do become Billon. (debased ones dated to between 1707 to 1828). (1525 to 1828)
  • Smooth Top: No stamps or bumps.  Made of Billon, copper or bass.  These start at 90 grams and fall to 50 grams. (1707-1889)
  • Canoe or Boat Money: These have a broad central depression with raised ends, and no stamps.  Made of Billon, copper or bass.  They weigh between 50 grams to 14 grams.  19th Century.

I have several of the Tiger tongues and boat money.  I store them in a drawer inside mylar slips made for currency (with tape to close the open end).

You can find examples of these 'coins' in Mitchiner's Oriental Coins and Their Values: Non-Islamic States & Western Colonies, AD 600 - 1979, and also in Opitz's An Ethnographic Study of Traditional Money.  Most of what I wrote above is taken from Opitz.

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 08:49:53 pm »
Here are the four lats that I own.

1.  122.84 grams.  Mitchiner 3004-6.  Good silver. Kingdom of Laos, 1591 to 1707, issued from the southern capital of Vientiane.  With Na (snake like letter) symbols.

2.  97.90 grams.  Mitchiner 3013-15.  Billon.  Issued by the Kingdom of Vientiane (South Laos), 1707-1820 AD. No symbols.

3. 84.4 grams.  Mitchiner 3018-20.  Copper. From the Kingdom of Luan Prabang (North Laos) between 1707 to 1889.  Depression in center with rounded ends.  No symbols

4. 51.60 grams.  Mitchiner 3021.  Similar to number 3 above but with flat ends.  Most likely later than number 3.

Offline Bacchus

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 03:05:52 am »
Howard,
Thanks for the replies (I did mean Vietnam - my error..oops)  I was going to expand later with the other types but you have stolen my thunder.   :)  I have Mitchiners books but not Opitz - I must keep my eye out for that one, it looks like a good reference.

Many thanks
-:Bacchus:-

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 01:36:05 am »
Hi Bacchus,

Sorry to steal your thunder, but I love odd and curious money and have a fairly large collection of it.

Howard

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 03:03:18 pm »
These don't come from the Delta region, but the Mekong River nonetheless, around the Thai-Lao border. This is where I live. These pieces are easy enough to find, but strangely, most common folk know very little or nothing at all about the money. Many in this area have no idea what it is. I have a few tiger tongues and several boat money pieces, and know of several local shops that deal in these types.

Danny

All coins are guaranteed for eternity