Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Iron in Bronze  (Read 1102 times)

Offline crawforde

• IMPERATOR
  • Consul
  • Historia est testis temporum, lux veritatis ...
Iron in Bronze
« on: November 28, 2009, 02:57:51 pm »
Hello all,

This is my first post here at the Forum.  I have been lurking for a while. I have enjoyed reading all the old posts. I love the diversity here, one stop for Greek, Roman, Indo -Greek, and Chinese. It is Wonderful.  I have just been going through my Chinese cash coins, and have subjected many to a test with a small magnet. Many that are not iron have been attracted to a magnet to varying degrees.  Some Ban Liangs,a Kai yuan, and quite a few Qing Dynasty Coins.
Has the presence and/or amount of iron in the alloys from different types/times or mints ever been quantified? If not I was thinking of doing a study to quantify the degree of attraction in the coins in my collection, and others if
possible. I am a biologist in my day job, I just can't help measuring things :).
I am relatively new to Chinese coins so any information would be greatly appreciated.
Can anybody steer me towards appropriate references?
Is there a way to get a program or spreadsheet that lists  "S"numbers and Hartill to make cataloguing easier? I have made one for the coins in my Chinese collection, and can post it if it would be possible and/or useful.  It only has coins that I own.
Thanks,
Eric

Offline leseullunique

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Iron in Bronze
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 03:09:29 pm »
Dear crawforde, I wish you welcome  on this site

I can provide you the references of a great study made by the british museum (see here )

it's usual to find iron in chinese coins, many coins was private casting or imitation from Viet nam. I also know than a few coins have been minted in iron for the border army.

I hope it help you

regards

Offline crawforde

• IMPERATOR
  • Consul
  • Historia est testis temporum, lux veritatis ...
Re: Iron in Bronze
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 05:03:22 pm »
Thanks for the quick response and the link. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity