Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 10:55:46 am
Search Calendar Login Register  

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage (Moderator: bruce61813)  |  Topic: How to re-patinate an AE As. (Green) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to re-patinate an AE As. (Green)  (Read 967 times)
lionglobe
« on: January 12, 2006, 11:52:58 am »

I have a "Domitian" AE As coin that has a green patina over the whole surface. By accident (...don't ask!) I scraped a small part of the patina off the edge of the coin,thus exposing a bright copper like color ....(only a  few millimeters or so in length)

Is there some way to get the patination back over the exposed area of the coin? I saw a post on how to re-patinate a silver coin earlier today,but don't know how that will work on the copper (whatever an AE As metal is.) Thanks!

lionglobe   
vic9128
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 01:33:40 pm »

from an earlier post:

Quote from: Victor on January 11, 2006, 01:33:53 pm
You could try some Dellar's Darkener. It is sulfur based and will darken bronze. If you use a toothpick to apply, you can put it on only the area you want. If you do a word search on the internet you will find it. It may or may not work, but the stuff is pretty cheap.

apply it carefully to only the shiny area as it could darken the green patina.
Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 06:46:20 am »

Patina in NumisWiki...http://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Patina

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Robert T2
Praetorian

I like ants & pantis (that sounds soo wrong)!

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 11:06:44 pm »

Hi, I've had some success with touching up minor breaches in patina like what you describe - in my case caused by over enthusiastic brushing  Roll Eyes - by dabbing JAX repatination fluid on the affected area with a cotton wool bud. Jax comes in several colours including green.

cheers,

Rob

cheers, robonrome
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage (Moderator: bruce61813)  |  Topic: How to re-patinate an AE As. (Green) « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop