Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Philip V, Maravedis for possible ID?  (Read 1057 times)

Jericho

Philip V, Maravedis for possible ID?
« on: January 01, 2006, 09:28:40 pm »
I've just added a handful of Philip V maravedis to my gallery...

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=760

I know nothing of this type and would welcome any further information in regards to dating, where minted, and whatever else you may wish to add.  I'd also love to know what the inscriptions and other signs might mean.

I'd be most appreciative of any help or opinions!   :laugh:

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: Philip V, Maravedis for possible ID?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 11:19:54 pm »
Amost all of these coins are from Philip IV and not Philip V.  As for the signs and inscriptions.  The obverse legend is Philippvs IIII D. G.  The reverse basically says King of Spain it.  The crown shield is the shield of Leon and Castile, two proviences in Spain that would latter combine and force the Moors out.

Jericho

Re: Philip V, Maravedis for possible ID?
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 03:17:57 am »
Thanks!  Both for your help here and in the gallery.  Shows you what I know about these coins!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity