Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tony Hardy Collection  (Read 4071 times)

Offline postvmvs

• Praetorian
Tony Hardy Collection
« on: December 26, 2005, 09:38:22 pm »
I've come across a few coins offered for sale as being 'ex Tony Hardy Collection'. Does anyone know:

a) when the collection was formed and sold
b) who Tony Hardy was
c) if there is a catalog (e.g. if the collection was auctioned)
d) any other useful tidbits of information :)

Thanks,
postvmvs
--postvmvs
(Not to be confused with 'postumus' spelled with 'u')

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Tony Hardy Collection
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 10:25:31 am »
I'd also be curious to know, since I've got an "ex. Tony Hardy" in my collection.

I've seen the same question asked on Moneta-L with no answers.

The only "lead" is that the majority of these (if not all) seem to have originally been sold by CNG (and since then resold by others). As far as I can see, the first portion of these were sold at CNG 61 in Sept 2002.

Perhaps the CNG 61 catalog has a mention of who he is, or otherwise maybe someone at CNG (or perhaps ex. CNG - Barry) might know, since it appears that they bought his collection.

If you find any further info, maybe you could post it here?

Ben

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 12:43:44 pm »
I am not at home to answer fully and am posting this to remind myself to answer more fully later.

The Tony Hardy Collection was and is being sold by CNG, although it is coming to an end. Just looking at CNG's site, since sale 67 they've sold over 2300 lots of Hardy material in printed catalogs and E-Sales. I'll have to check when CNG first started selling Hardy material, although based on CNG's website I'd assume they started selling it in January of 2005 (the first sale his name shows up is sale 67 and an E-auction 106, both January 2005 sales). I believe there were more than 10,000 coins in the collection.

Tony Hardy is a European collector or accumulator if you prefer. There was no real theme to the collection. I contained everything from Syracusan tetradrachms, Roman provincials and $3.00 worn late Roman AE and everything ancient in between.

The Tony Hardy Collection is coming to an end though. I believe CNG was under contract to have most  of the coins sold by the end of the year. The current E-auction contains mostly Tony Hardy material and I believe that except for a few odds and ends and unsolds this is the end of the collection (though I could be mistaken).

I'll try to confirm the above information when I return home later in the week.

Barry Murphy

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 01:41:29 pm »
Thanks, Barry.

I'd noticed that his collection seemed rather eclectic!

Ben

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 05:13:54 pm »
Follow up:

The first Hardy coins were actually sold in CNG 58 and composed a small group of 27 Aes Grave. In Sale 61 appear the the first Hardy lots with his name on them, nearly all Republican and Imperatorial. There were a handful of Republican coins in Triton VI (sale 62). Sale 64 featured over 130 Imperatorial and Octavian/Augustus denarii from the Hardy Collection. The next offering was Sale 67 and every sale since has had a group of Hardy coins from various areas.

Barry Murphy

All coins are guaranteed for eternity