Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sol's gesture and Serapis' robe  (Read 33425 times)

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Sol's gesture and Serapis' robe
« on: December 31, 2005, 02:32:12 am »
Greetings, all!

There is an excellent article on Sol and Serapis by Patricia Lawrence here:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Colored%20Statues

which shows Sol subsuming the attributes of Serapis, with a Doug Smith photo of the relevant coin of Maximinus II.  (Like all of Pat Lawrence's writing, it is a joy to read.) 

So, what about this coin from a decade earlier.  Is Sol wearing Serapis' robe here as well?  There's nothing so obvious here as holding the deity's head.

..  And what does Sol's gesture actually mean?  Is this palm-out gesture a salute, or a rebuff, or an indication of mastery?  The article states that Sol is shown on the Maximinus II coin assuming "the identifying gesture of Serapis."  But Unconquered Sol was ALWAYS shown using this gesture, so it is clearly inseperable from the concept.

Thanks ...  Bill Welch
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Sol's gesture and Serapis' robe
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 06:19:15 am »
Hi Bill,
On this type Sol is wearing his chlamys (cape), but it is spread behind which gives a fuller appearance.

I'm also very interested in Sol's hand gesture, and would like to learn the origins of it. I'm not sure if Pat intended to refer to it as coming from Serapis, as in the following paragraph she also refers to the gesture as Sol's own. As an aside, it's interesting to see Maximinus II's civic Apollo type and Sol type side-by-side... I wonder if Sol's multi-colored robe might not be related to that of Apollo as much as of Serapis?

The raised hand gesture also appears as an imperial bust type, such as on my Maximinus II coin (issued by Constantine), below, where Maximinus is mirroring Sol not only in gesture but also by way of radiate crown and holding a globe. On other types where we see this bust type, the gesture and globe seem to usually go together, although the radiate crown is not always present.

It's interesting that this gesture is a fixed part of the numismatic representation of Sol Invictus, but it also seems to predate him, since I've also noticed it on medallions of Gordian III (238-244) from Moesia Inferior, as can be seen here:

[BROKEN LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Sol Invictus himself doesn't appear - at least on coins - until the beginning of the reign of Gallienus (we can say beginning since he also appears on coins of Quietus and Macrianus) in 260.

I'm not sure how far back the gesture goes.

Ben

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 07:02:40 am »
Hi, Ben.

That's rather a lot of material for a chlamys, I thought.  The groin and thighs are draped in something in front, as well as a cloak falling behind.  There's certainly much more material than Sol Invictus usually wears.  On the other hand, it's not elaborately decorated like Serapis' robe.

Those imperial gestures are interesting.  I think that Sol on coins makes sense if you assume that he ie meant to represent, or parallel, the emperor.  Or rather, vice versa.  Power and invincibility are rather nice attributes.  And of course the radiate crown was used from almost the start of the empire.  I presume that the globe indicates mastery of the world, whether held by Sol or an emperor.  There's certainly a lot of handing of globes to emperors to be found on reverses.

Sol Invictus may have been promoted by Aurelian in the 270s, but the cult must have been well-known before that.  Here's a Septimius Severus on Coin Archives:

And below is a Gordian III antoninianus.  The postures are exactly what you'd expect.  The Severus has a whip, and the Gordian a globe, so both traditional attributes are there.

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 07:42:55 am »
I'd always assumed that Sol appearing before the Soli Invicto legend was the more general Oriens rather than Sol Invictus (which is possibly equated with Mithraism), although the distinctive gesture does at least tie the depictions together.

It would certainly help to know the origins of the gesture!

Ben

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 08:03:33 am »
Bill,
It seems that you're right to equate the Sept. Severus Sol with Sol Invictus.

Here's an awesome aureus of Geta where the catalog description makes that same association.

So perhaps the hand gesture (whatever the origin) is an attribute of Sol Invictus - differentiating him from Oriens.

Ben

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 08:37:37 am »
Ben  -

That aureus is truly spectacular.  It's also nice that it shows a clear idenfification between an Augustus and Sol.  I wonder what the soruce of those comments is.

Isn't Oriens the same as Sol Invictus, but shown in the special sense of the sun rising?  This would figuratively represent the rising fortunes of the empire and the emperor himself.  There are plenty of Oriens reverses showing the typical pose and gesture, and there doesn't appear to be a clear distinction between these and the images labelled as Sol Invictus.

Bill

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 09:29:18 am »
Bill,

My understanding is that Sol Invictus was a more specialized cult (perhaps the public face of Mithraism?) than the general Sun worship that had preceded it, which the Romans had inherited from the Greeks (Helios). I'd certainly welcome any corrections or clarifications to that, though!

As far as I can tell from searching Coin Archives and the ANS database, it seems that Septimius Severus was the first to depict Sol in this way (both standing and giving this gesture), and per that catalog description if we are to take that as Sol Invictus, then I assume that all following similar depictions, labelled as Oriens until the Soli Invicto legend was introduced by Gallienus, are also Sol Invictus. Aurelian, who really boosted the cult of Sol Invictus was the last to use the Oriens Avg legend.

What I'm not sure about is when the cult of Sol Invictus was formed, and therefore what should be made of earlier use of the bust of Sol with Oriens legend (e.g. by Hadrian). I still tend to assume this is pre Sol Invictus. One other numismatic data point is Nero's Avgvstvs Germanicvs type (denarius/aureus), where he depicts himself as Sol and holding a branch rather than giving the raised hand gesture. This type is a depiction of the huge statue, apparently copied from the Collosus of Rhodes, that Nero made of himself, and therefore seems more connected to Helios, which perhaps explains the lack of the hand gesture if it seems that may be associated with Sol Invictus.

Ben

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 02:41:27 pm »
This is a wonderful thread.  Ever since Cumont's Mithraism books were issued in PB fifty years ago I have been fitfully infatuated with these questions.  So far as I know, there are lots of loose ends, and perhaps (I sometimes have thought) it actually happened as a bundle of cultural, theological, artistic, and ethnic loose ends.  In an unfootnoted book, Cornelius Vermeule said that Septimius had the Nero-Colossus next to the Flavian Amphitheater remodeled to look like Caracalla: that would fit in with the Sol iconography of Caracalla's Rome coins, unless it is reverse-reasoned only from the coins themselves.  Was the arm gesture part of the Colossus Helios image, as reconstructions show?  I definitely am fascinated by the AETERNITAS complex of iconography which goes back farther.
I think that on the coins I used in my little article it is necessary to emphasize that the garb of Serapis is the patterned (encrusted and/or embroidered) one and his kalathos headdress (also embossed and gem-encrusted or carved), and the gesture is, indeed, typical of Serapis on Severan coins (in order of image creation, the Serapis and the Colossus of Rhodes belong to the same generation), but the cult image of Serapis by a Bryaxis did not have that pose.  Also, the Sol on the follis holds a Serapis head.  What exactly this all meant in terms of creeds, I do not know.
On the Gallienus, et al., the Oriens and the Invictus wear the radiate crown, and Serapis is absent, so that the gesture is that of Sol.  Also, I don't recall seeing a claw-like, enlarged hand on a Serapis.
Certainly, Gallienus's Sol wears a chiton / tunic as well as his chlamys.  But his garment is not a stiff, heavy robe, as on the follis.
Question: is there a link here with the development of the kind of royal robes that Justinian (at Ravenna, for example) will wear?  Byzantine court wear is very alien to traditional Greco-Roman state attire.
There was an exhibit in the late 70s at the Metropolitan Museum called The Age of Spirituality; that was defined as c. 200 to c. 700.  Well, from a number of points of view one can make such era-divisions, but the 3rd c. CE was pivotal in many ways.

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 04:05:51 pm »
Pat -

Thanks for your response - most interesting!   I have to modify my website quite often as I learn more, and the Sol page is due for a revision any day now!

You mention the enlarged, claw-like hand sometimes seen.  Such enlargement may well mean that the particular feature is important.  The fingers of Spes' hand, showing the delicacy of her grip on her flower, is perhaps a comparable example - they are sometimes well out of scale.  

So, if this is a true parallel, Sol's gesture is of particular importance, perhaps in detail.  The claw-like hand shown below has the thumb held low and forward .. I wonder if this is significant?  Other Sol Invictus images do the same thing, but in a less exaggerated way.  

The meaning of this must have been so obvious at the time ...

Bill

vic9128

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005, 04:24:53 pm »
Many (most) coins of the Constantine era exhibit claw like hands (when the fingers are visible). I think it  only means engravers had a hard time with hands, specifically the fingers (they are tough!)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2005, 04:57:22 pm »
Hi Victor,
You can see these claw hands on the Rome issues of 313-314. It's not just that the hands are badly engraved, but rather that specifically the gesturing hand is massive and out of proportion. Of course we already know from this gesture being a fixed feature (even on the tiny Sol driving the quadriga on my coin above), as well as occuring as part of an imperial bust type, that the gesture is significant, but it does appear as if this Rome celator wanted to draw particular attention to it!

Ben

vic9128

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2005, 05:01:55 pm »
I believe the only significance is that the engravers had problems with fingers. The hand holding the globe is also out of proportion...is that also significant? As I said you can look at many coins of the era and they all seem to exhibit the same artistry to some degree and rather than think it is something significant, I find it easier to believe it is just hard to engrave a realistic hand with fingers!

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2005, 06:00:53 pm »
Quote from: Victor on December 31, 2005, 05:01:55 pm
The hand holding the globe is also out of proportion...is that also significant?

Only if that's abnormal compared to baseline expectations!  ;)

Ben (with a photofile of over 200 Soli's!)

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2006, 02:32:56 am »
Quote from: Victor on December 31, 2005, 05:01:55 pm
I believe the only significance is that the engravers had problems with fingers.

Well, that's a good hypothesis.  But doesn't it lead back to the same issue .. Sol's hands are bigger and claw-ier than all the other examples.  So, why was it so important to show the hand with the configuration of the fingers?  What exactly IS the meaning of this frustratingly simple gesture?  Possibilities might include:

Here I am, the invincible one!
You see my hand before you see my face!
Kneel, puny humans!
Cover your eyes, for I radiate unbearable light from all parts of me!
I bring life to the world!

But really, I suspect that most such ideas are over-interpreting.

Bill

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2006, 05:23:20 am »
(And to follow up ...)

Here are two more large claw-like hands on coins which are otherwise stylish and well executed.  On the Probus, the engraver could depict four horses in some detail.  On the Diocletian, the figure is well scaled and lifelike.  But both have those large hands.  This has to me important!

Bill

vic9128

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2006, 11:50:16 am »
The idea of there being some import in the distorted hands of Sol also ignores the fact that some engravers were better at hands and  got them very close to proper scale (the bottom pic is a very normal looking hand, indeed!). 

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2006, 03:35:01 pm »
I think we're veering a bit off topic here...

There can be no doubt that the raised hand gesture of Sol Invictus is significant (meaning that it's an attribute of the character rather than a chance portrayal), because it's a fixed attribute of the [full body] figure, just as is his radiate crown.  While Sol is depicted slightly differently by Gallienus, Aurelian, Constantine, Maximinus II, etc, the gesture itself is a fixture. It doesn't matter what Sol is wearing (chlamys, tunic, robe), what he is doing with his other hand (holding nothing, globe, whip, bow, victriola), whether accomanied by captives or not, standing alone or driving a quadriga - the right hand is always making this gesture.

The oversized  gesturing hand of the Rome celator of 313-314 (the only one that strikes me as semi-consistently noteworthy) therefore needs to be evaluated in light of the fact that we already know that the gesture is significant... It's not primary evidence of the significance of the gesture, but rather perhaps an interesting example of the relation between mental model and artistic portrayal, perhaps rather like a young child's drawing of a parent where the head itself might be the size of the rest of the body - a crude depiction but nonetheless giving some insight into what was in the mind of the artist. Without wanting to overemphasize this tangent, this is really quite typical of the numismatic art of this time... the depictions are typically crude to the point of being cartoon-like sets of the symbols that carry the message. We can see another example of this on my Trier Sol, below.... what happened to the left arm?! Obviously the celator wanted to depict the symbolism of Sol holding a globe, and realism (& Sol's missing arm) wasn't an issue. But given that a whole missing arm wasn't an issue, why did the celator then go to the extreme of depicting individual fingers on the hand of the right arm?... because the right hand, unlike the left arm, is itself significant - part of the symbolism.

Incidently, the arragement of the fingers on these examples of the exaggerated hand does not appear to be significant. The gesture appears to be simply a raised palm-out hand with all fingers extended, and shown more clearly on the facing Sol on the Max Daia aureus below (sadly not mine!).

Does anyone have any examples of this gesture earlier than on the Sol of Septimius Severus?

Ben

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2006, 04:04:59 pm »
The Grappling Hand is not just a large, roughly drawn hand.  I do not know the answer to the question, and again I'm not sure anyone has it, but I think that the crux of the question can be considered in relation to late 3rd century and Constantinian coins where the Emperor, radiate and in full regalia, has this hand--and so has Sol on the reverse of the same coin.  It is in some sense not a 'real' hand: on Sol it is supernatural and on the Emperor it is Sol-like.  I even ask whether, for the Emperor, it is not an object, an ensign or emblem, a golden (perhaps) Sol Hand that he carries.
Kraay & Hirmer is not the best place to look for examples, but I found one which I'll add to this as soon as scanned.
The contemporary medals show very plainly that when the Rome mint wants a normal hand it has access to engravers who can produce it.  The Grappling Hand is not a representation of a natural hand.
I forget whether it was off line or in Forvm that I was in a discussion of this last year; I'll try to find out.
Anyhow, the one that I found in Kraay & Hirmer is OK to illustrate the concept I'm getting at.  There are quite a few of them.  Pat Lawrence.
Here it is.  632. IMP MAXIMINVS AVG AD 312 RIC 836 (BrMus), according to Kraay catalogue at back of picture book.  "Maximin is identified with Sol, a rôle which suggests that the intimate association with the Sun-god of Constantine, himself identified with Mars (no. 631) had not yet been developed".  You Constantine guys will know about that better than I do.
See also BenB's Reply #1, above.

virtvsprobi

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2006, 04:26:51 pm »
"... the outstretched hand is an almost universal iconographic symbol. In the Mediterranean world, for example, the outstretched right hand of the king has magical power; there must be a close connection with the power of salvation in the right hand of the Roman emperors. This all-powerful hand, or magna manus, as it was called, was connected with emperor and deity alike: Constantine signifies the act of ruling by stretching out his right hand[2], and God, as savior makes the same gesture.

The origin of the raised right hand should probably be sought in the Middle East, whence it must have spread both eastward and westward. It is a common gesture in Gandharan sculpture, and in Roman art from the time of Severus, the emperor is depicted with the raised right hand.[3] In Semitic religious rituals, for example, this gesture was used as a magic blessing having apotropaic powers. "When it is made by a god, it protects all his servants against malign influences and evil spirits: thus it becomes a tutelary sign, a symbol of benediction. When the faithful worshipper himself makes it, he reinforces thereby his prayer or his incantation, and the action of the hand is added to that of the sacred words, in order to save him from all evil."[4] In Persia, the cosmocrator Ahura Mazda in the world ring stretches out his right hand [5} in a similar gesture of power. Moreover there are numerous biblical references to the magical powers and omnipotence of the magna manus:[6] "Thou hast a mighty arm: strong is thy hand, and high is thy right hand" (Psalm 89 : 14,5).

This concept of the right hand apparently penetrated into ancient Greece, but it fell into disuse around the third century A.D. The use of the gesture in Christian iconography is attested very early. By this sign Christ [7] is designated as the all -powerful monarch, cosmocrator and pantocrator. It may be noted, too, that that the gesture evolved from a sign of power and rule to one of transmitting the law. According to the so called traditio legis, this is the sign of Christ who gives his doctrine to the world [8]. And, like Christ he lawgiver and pantocrator, the Buddha assumes the double role of lawgiver and protector. "The preference for the right hand is perhaps connected with the apparent course of the sun from east to west, and the consequent idea that a sunwise course, keeping the object always on the right hand, is of good omen and the opposite of evil." [8a]..."

- E. Dale Saunders Mudra: A study of Symbolic Gestures in Japanese Buddhist Sculpture

2 - L'Orange Studies on the Iconography of Cosmic Kingship in the Ancient World , pp. 140-141
3 - L'Orange, p. 147, "It is from the orientalized world of gods of the third century A.D.  the gesture has been transferred to the emperor."
4 - Cumont, "Fouilles de Doura Europos", pp. 70 ff.
5 - L'Orange - fig. 63, p. 92.
6 - Ibid., Pp 159 ff.
7 - Ibid., fig. 116, fig. 117
8 - Ibid., fig. 119
8a - Hastings Encyclopaedia of Religion and Ethics, VI, 493

virtvsprobi

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2006, 04:29:09 pm »
Why is it such a big hand? Well, it was called the magna manus wannit?  ;D ;D ;D

G/<

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2006, 04:32:17 pm »
Everything VirtvsProbi says is good general background that we all need to know, but please consider also the specific realia that I was preparing while he posted.  We do need to get past that generic Great Right Hand.  P.L.

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2006, 04:39:44 pm »
Pat - It's interesting that you refer to "the Grappling Hand".  Is this a known designation?  I hadn't thought of it as being "grappling," because it never seems to grasp anything (except that on one coin of Aurelian, Oriens is brandishing an olive branch, and on another, Sol is handing a globe to Mars Invictus, but these don't seem to be the results of grappling). 

Maximinus' claw certainly looks completely unhuman!  Real hands might appear oddly sized (as on the abdication folles) but this is surely a step too far.  I would suspect from this that your conjecture that it is some sort of artifact is correct.

Bill

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2006, 05:02:17 pm »
I wonder wether the gesture of Augustus from Prima Porta f.e. has the same meaning? Or am I wrong with that?

Best regards

virtvsprobi

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2006, 05:59:11 pm »
Well, Augustus is doing a pointy thing, not the palm stretched outward.

Having seen, in my youth, Augustus' gesture replicated on countless statues of Lenin, I can tell you exactly what it means: "This way to Socialism."

;D ;D

G/<

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2006, 06:38:17 pm »
Ok, I'm convinced!

A happy new year to you and your family!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity