Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Poll

What Area of Islamic coins do you collect?

Pre-Reform
0 (0%)
Abbasid &Ummayyad
2 (14.3%)
Turkic dynasties of 11th century and on(Seljuqs, their atabegs, etc ...)
2 (14.3%)
Ilkhans, and Mongolian dynasties
0 (0%)
Ayyubid and Mamluk
1 (7.1%)
Ottoman
4 (28.6%)
Other
5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: What Area of Islamic coins do you collect?  (Read 2772 times)

Offline lv88

• Consul
    • Armenian Numismatic Page
What Area of Islamic coins do you collect?
« on: December 22, 2005, 11:04:50 pm »
What kinds of islamic coins do ou collect? and please comment on specific area.

Best,
Levon

i-xan

Re: What Area of Islamic coins do you collect?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 03:00:22 am »
well, I turned out to be the only one to participate in the poll, feel sad about it.

well, Levon probably knows my preferences, but not other people - I'm looking for Seljuks of Rum coins, Ilkhans and any coins issued by any dynasty in Tiflis or in other Georgian mints, including Ilkhans, Safavid, Afsharid, Ottoman, etc.

Offline lv88

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 02:47:00 pm »
Thanks for participating. Hopefully more particiants in future! My main interest is Shaddadids, though I like a few odd things related to Cilician Armenia.

Best,
Levon

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 06:52:11 pm »
Thats a good one

Well I collect Ottoman coins like crazy. But Ottoman coins from pre 1099AH and some rarer coins from after this date.

I collect Ottoman Banknotes, which is really expensive. Then also I collect Umayyad, Mamluk and Ayyubid copper coins but only for study and eventual resale.

I also collect Anatolian Beylik coins including those from the times of the Seljuq Empire (i.e. Artuqids, Zangids, Aq and Qarq Qoyunlu) but only the rarer ones. Some Seljuq coins too.

But like I said I hang on to the Ottoman coins and the others just slip away from time to time.

Best wishes,
Burak

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 02:36:48 am »
I mainly collect Turkoman Figural Bronzes, but do collect Islamic coins in other areas.  Now if anyone has SS12 for sale or knows of anyone that does have one, pleas let me know!

Offline lv88

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 07:17:19 am »
SS12?
What is that?

Best,
Levon

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 04:59:16 pm »
Coin number 12 in Spengler and Sayles (SS) book "Turkoman Figural Bronze Coins and Their Iconography".  This is a coin of Qutb al-Din Sukman (II) b. Muhammad, an Artuqid of Hisn Kayfa.  It has a Sasanian bust on it.  I have been looking for one of these coins for about 6 years and have never seen one for sale.

Offline lv88

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 06:01:37 pm »
Hi Howard,

Very interesting. I like the one with the Byzantine buts personllay. I have been trying ot find some cheaper Salduqid , Begtimurid, Menjukakid and similiar coins, but thay have been a bit expensive, and rare.

BCNumismatics

What area of Islamic coins do you collect?
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 03:15:10 pm »
The only Islamic coins that I do collect are those from countries that have since come under British suzerainty or are now proper British Commonwealth countries.

This includes places such as Hyderabad,Kedah (2008),Kelantan (since AH1427 (2006)),the Maldive Islands (since AH1318 (1900)),Pakistan,& the Republic of Somaliland (which is a former British colony that seceded from Somalia in 1991).

I also collect banknotes & postal orders from across the British Empire & the proper British Commonwealth as well,which includes quite a few countries where Islam is very influential.

Aidan.

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 10:47:59 pm »
I finally got SS12, also some rare Begtimurids and Danishmendids figural bronzes too.

PS I really should post my Islamic figural bronze collection.  It is quiet extensive.

Offline Luc Andre D

• Praetorian
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 11:06:28 pm »
All of them (just like for all other civilizations and time periods  ;D). I have quite a few from turkid dynasties (artuqids, zengids, seldjuks, etc.), some abbassid, omeyyade, mamluk, some from India and so on.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity