Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help in Arabic and Translation  (Read 2523 times)

Offline lv88

• Consul
    • Armenian Numismatic Page
Help in Arabic and Translation
« on: December 10, 2005, 05:02:18 pm »
Hi,

I need help on Arabic inscription and Translation for coins on a personal site. If anyone can help with 5-6 coins ...

Thaks in advance.
Levon

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
Re: Help in Arabic and Translation
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 06:57:29 am »
Hi

If it is about Shaddadid or Begtimurids, then I wont be much of help but I could try.

You can always ask Mehmet Eti

Burak

Offline lv88

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 12:45:17 pm »
Well, thus far, I got one Begtimurid coin, and started Shaddadid with Gandzak's help.

Thus far, I need someone to confirm reading on this one, and english translation:

http://armeniannumismatics.cjb.net/begtimuraa.html

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 01:49:11 pm »
Obverse: Emr-i bi-darbihi el-abd'ül fakir.  Sene 582
Reverse: El-nasýreddin emir'ül müminin.  Es- Sultan'ül muazzam bedreddünya veddin gýyas emir'ül müminin

Obverse: Emri is the order, daribihi is is the strike and el-abdul fakir is the name, probably of the striker. Or the one who has allowed the striking.

I am working on the reverse. Dunya means earth or world. Essultan ul muazzan means the magnifivient Sultan of the world. "gave the order to ...

Will be back with more

Offline lv88

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 07:06:43 am »
Hi Burak,

Thanks.

So, obverse is like this?

Arabic: ﺔﺋﺎﻤﺴﻤﺧﻭﻦﻴﻨﻤﺛﻭﻦﻴﺘﻨﺛﺍﺔﻨﺳﺮﻴﻘﻔﻟﺍﺪﺒﻌﻟﺍﻪﺑﺮﻀﺑﺮﻣﺍ
Arabic Transliteration: Emr-i bi-darbihi el-abd'ül fakir.  Sene 582
English Tranlation:  order to strike el-abdul fakir. Year 582

Best,
Levon

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 04:32:07 pm »
Hi

Well the language on this coin is Turkish rather than Arabic, but using Arabic words and Arabic script. In order to strike coins in medieval islamic times one needed the permission to strike coins. Hence maskukat or emri bi darb. The right to strike. el-Abdul Fakir is either cited on the coin as a vassal or something or indeed the engraver but it may mean something that I dont know also. I do not know Begtimurid coins in depth. Only that they used some countermarks on Byzantine coins and that the Begtimurids are also called Shah-Arman or Ermeni Melikleri. By the way on the describtion you wrote that the horse is attacking the wolf, whereas the wolf is attacking the horse from beneath. I have seen 2 coins where the wolf was described as a calf.

but I think I got a good translation:
Obverse: Right to strike (coins) Year 582 (AH)
Reverse: The overlooking ruler empowered by the faithful. The great Sultan, the assistant to the world and faith (muslim religion), of the faithful.

So the reverse is just what the Sultan calls himself. I love how they called themselves back in the day. I think I would be Abd al-Melik Saleh al-Din Sultan Burak Gazi Shah bin Essultan Tugrul Gazi Shah" or more like Mamluk Burak.

Best wishes,
Burak

Offline lv88

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 05:32:37 pm »
Hi Burak, very interesting,

In a hurry at the moment, but will post more on Begtimurids tommorow. So all these turkic dynasties that issued coins simply used the arabic alphabet? but Turkic language? Seljuks too? (I always suspected this, but I never really knew.)

PS I finished first Shaddadid coin:

http://armeniannumismatics.cjb.net/shavurlv2.html

do you find easy to compare and see?

Regards,
Levon

Offline lv88

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005, 07:53:12 pm »
Hi Burak,

The Begtimurid section is complete: