Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Round 9 - Oblomov  (Read 2602 times)

Offline Oblomov

• Praetorian
Round 9 - Oblomov
« on: December 03, 2005, 02:58:53 am »
Here are my five coins.

Should I reformat the image or retake any of the pictures?

Offline Oblomov

• Praetorian
Re: Oblomov's befores
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 08:12:49 pm »
After.

Offline Oblomov

• Praetorian
Re: Oblomov's befores
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 08:21:55 pm »
1.  Trajan 98-117 AD
     AR Denarius, 16mm. Rome mint. RIC 318
     O: IMP CAES NER TRAIANO OPTIMO AVG GERM DAC, laureate and draped bust right.
     R: P M TR P COS VI P P S P Q R, Fortuna seated left holding rudder and cornucopia, FORT RED in exe.

Mayadigger’s ammonia and distilled water treatment worked quite effectively on the uneven black patches.  After comparing it to examples on Wildwinds and the FORVM catalog, I believe it to be RIC 318.  Incidentally, this was my first ancient silver coin.

2.  Probus 276-282 AD
     AE Antoninianus, 22mm. Siscia mint. RIC 810
     O: IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG; Radiate, cuirassed bust left, with spear and shield.
     R: VIRTVS PROBI AVG, Mars advancing right with trophy & spear, symbol resembling a “6” in right field, XXI in
         exe.

The obverse didn’t clean up as well as I’d hoped, but does show a left facing bust with hints of a radiate crown and a spear.  The reverse was in much better shape, and the type was easier to pin down.  However, I didn’t find any example coins with the same symbol in the right field

3.  Carinus 283-285 AD
     AE Antoninianus, 21mm. Rome mint. Van Meter p. 265
     O: IMP C M AVR CARINVS AVG; radiate, draped & cuirassed bust right. 
     R: GENIVS EXERCITI; Genius standing left, holding patera and cornucopia, KAA in exe.

The four examples of this reverse type on Wildwinds (RIC 254, 255, 256) -- along with the example from FORVM (RIC 256) -- all include PF in the obverse inscription.  I found two photos on the internet with the same inscription as my coin.  The first was identified as an RIC 254, but the author mistakenly included the PF in his attribution.  The other had the inscription correct, but did not give an RIC reference.  However, Van Meter does list this type with this obverse legend

4.  Unattributed Roman Bronze
     AE 23mm.
     O: Bust right; inscription worn flat 
     R:  Quadruped standing left; remaining inscription looks like ED-TVALO     

I give up.  There’s enough detail left here to keep me thinking that I should be able to get it; but I’ve been looking for several weeks with no progress.

5.  Constantius II 337-361 AD
     AE 18mm.  Sirmium mintRIC 69
     O: DN CONSTAN-TIVS PF AVG; pearl diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
     R: FEL TEMP-REPARATIO; Soldier spearing fallen horseman.  [A]SIRM dot in exe.

This was a strait-forward ID from Helvetica’s RIC tables. 

Offline newone

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Re: Round 9 - Oblomov
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 05:28:50 pm »
I think you did well considering the less than desirable condition of your coins.
May our troops return home safely.........only through their bravery, dedication and diligence are we able to freely post on this site.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity