Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Wolf & Twins die link of the day  (Read 1163 times)

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
Wolf & Twins die link of the day
« on: December 31, 2005, 11:03:50 am »
I recently bought the following coin at a local coin fair. It is a fairly nice example from the Nether Compton hoard I put it in my trays and forgot about it. I used to collect this series but now concentrate in other areas. I just can't resist buying the odd one now and then.

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
Re: Wolf & Twins die link of the day
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 11:08:34 am »
I then arranged to meet Adrianus for a pre New Year drink. As you may know he still actively and avidly collects this series. He asked to see what Wolf and Twins I currently had so I bundled what I had into envelopes and took them along.

He looked at the Nether Compton example, put it back in the envelope. A few envelopes later he came to this one and declared, "I think we might have a reverse die link here!". We got out the Nether Compton example again and sure enough.  ;D ;D

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 11:13:25 am »
But, then looking at the obverses again .......... an obverse die link also.  :o ;D

The second example I think I picked up in a dealer's rummage tray for about $3 some years ago. The Nether Compton example, eigthteen months ago for $10.

An excellent investment and many thanks to Adrianus.  ;)

Offline Adrianus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 11:53:42 am »
My pleasure Lee,

A nice thing to get - I've only come across about 4 or 5 die-links between official coins and this reverse die is engraved in a rare transitional style that occurs in the TRP* (Issue 3) issue. Note the curious twins - check out their posture, the fact they are floating in mid-air and the way their legs cross over. Lovely coins - since you've got two, Lee, surely you won't need the second?  :-*

Regards,

Adrianus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity