Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Arab-Byzantine Standing Calif help  (Read 1533 times)

a

Arab-Byzantine Standing Calif help
« on: November 30, 2005, 02:36:09 pm »
Dear all,

I need your help with this AE20 Arab-Byzantine.

O: standing calif figure with legend "Muhammad"  and  crescent moon left and some illegible legend right.

R: large "m" with the jund name right - Filistin, and mint name left - ?.

This coin is very similar to Al-Malik coin from Iliya (Jerusalem). But, I almost sure that the mint name is not "Iliya".

What is the mint? I know that was three mints in junf Filistin - Yubna, Lodd and Iliya.
The inscription doesn't resemble one of these mint names.

Please help!

Thanks,
Explorer

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
Re: Arab-Byzantine Standing Calif help
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 03:13:53 pm »
It is Iliya. Seems like it is double struck or overstruck.

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 03:43:44 pm »
Well ,as it was said before,it's Iliya-Filistin[It's well written],no doubt,check Walker No 73----P 7,but you should know that with kind of coins,there is always variation in the way that each arabic word is written[downwards,upwards,inversed,retrograde,etc....]
nassif

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 04:01:59 pm »
Yes that true, coins do vary a lot. The same coin can weigh 2 to 7 grams sometimes. There was no real standard at the pre-reform coin age and also no standard at copper after the reform.

These coins are locally struck anonymously sometimes citing the ruler or the caliph.

This causes a lot of problems, especially for those who are not really well experianced with working islamic numismatic references. If you cant read the script it also causes a lot of problems. I have seen people who do not read the script grab a book and look for exact matches of the image in the book. And when they dont find it they think it isnt the coin.

Can be hard at times to figure it out.

By the way Nassif can you help me to read the mint on this Ilkhanid double dirhem I posted. Also with the Beylik coin. I would appreciate your input.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=23540.0
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=23311.0

best wishes,
burak

Qiyama

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 04:20:46 pm »

Explorer,

This Standing Caliph Arab-Byzantine type that you have is considered to be the product of Iliya Filastin, but in fact, on the left of the "m" the word "Filastin" is misspelled "Fisteen" (the letter "LAM" is not found) and thus the term "Filastin" is spelled correctly on the right side of the "m." The word "Iliya" altogether is unfound on this coin but it is, nonetheless, believed to be minted in Jerusalem. I have a similar one in my collection and the coins is footnoted in The Sylloge of Islamics Coins in the Ashmolean (Tony Goodwin's section on Arab-Byzantine coins). The coin is considered to be somewhat scarce.

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 05:26:27 pm »
In my answer before i wrote:"there is always variation in the way that each arabic word is written[downwards,upwards,inversed,retrograde,etc....]",so all figures are possible.Mint as it was said before.Walker still the reference in my opinion.Those coins are "scarce"
nassif

All coins are guaranteed for eternity