Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Brass Brush  (Read 2557 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Brass Brush
« on: November 22, 2005, 01:07:42 pm »
Are brass brushes a dangerous tool to use on uncleaned bronze coins.  When used in moderation, I've had good results - but I don't have the guts to try one out on some of my better coins.  Any thoughts?

Molinari

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
Re: Brass Brush
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 04:20:40 pm »
I use them regularly, the brushes I use have fine soft bristles, and are pretty gentle but still there is definately a learning curve. Some patinas will tolerate moderate scrubbing with little to no visual impact, others will be stripped with the lightest touch. Light blue green patina for example will brush right off with a brass brush, where some nice deep green ones can be scrubbed pretty vigorously without harm. Unfortunately you will probably ruin a few coins in the process of learning what can and what can not take the scrubbing.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Brass Brush
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 09:04:47 pm »
Thanks for the advice Jerome, I've just begun to get a feel for the holding strenghts of different patinas.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity