Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantinopolis, Rome mint  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Constantinopolis, Rome mint
« on: November 19, 2005, 05:37:15 am »
I always believed that Constantinopolis series is the most frequent ancient coins
readily available in kilos on ebay for less than 10 $.  In an appropriate  occasion
it was an occasion to get  a specimen for 4 EUR. Starting  "an exporation",  to my surprise
I noticed that it is not a bad one: of Rome mint (identified by a splitting of the legend). Coins of this mint
seems to be less frequent and dealers trade them
(not of the highest grade) in a price range 30 - 50 USD.
Unfortunately, there is a flaw in  exerque: really visible is  R, possibly F.
At Helvetica web site there is an interesting study about correlations of details with mints.
Unfortuntely, I could not  recover using it the corresponding exergue. Is it possible?
Does such a small flaw (but making difficult the indentification) reduce so drastically the market price?     

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Re: Constantinopolis, Rome mint
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 04:25:42 pm »
Hi Numerianus 
I have worked on your Constantinopolis.   
On RIC vol VII, mint Rome, is listed 8 specific. 
1) n. 332   RF epsilon 
2) n. 333   dots RF epsilon dot 
3) n. 334   dots R dot F dot epsilon dot 
4) n. 339   RB epsilon   
5) n. 355   R wrait epsilon 
6) n. 387   R stars epsilon 
7) n. 397   R stars epsilon (date different) 
8 ) n. 407   R leaf epsilon 
I have enlarge the foto... is next to n. 3), rated R4.
See 

ser

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 04:38:36 pm »
Thank you, great!  Indeed, there vertical dots at the beginning.  However, it is  difficult to distinguish between
2) and 3) ...

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 11:01:18 am »
Wow, this is a lovely coin.
There doesn't seem to be enough room between the R and the F for a dot, even for a small one, so I feel this must be the dot RF Epsilon dot, in my opinion.
As far as lowering the value goes - I collect Fel Temps and only buy those which I can 100% identify, even if the mintmark is unclear. But for other types of coins that I get in uncleaned lots, I still put it into my coin collection, in cases such as this, I would mark the coin holder and my Excel file e.g. "RIC VII Rome 332 or 333". It would not lower the value for me (because all my coins are my little friends, and friends never lower their values   :) )

All coins are guaranteed for eternity