Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Interesting Licinius II, Nicomedia RIC 26  (Read 892 times)

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Interesting Licinius II, Nicomedia RIC 26
« on: November 19, 2005, 06:57:05 pm »
Hello everybody,

I'd like to show you a Licinius II from my collection today. I bought it about a year and a half ago, and, thinking it over, I think I was quite lucky to get it.

In 317 AD, the first civil war between Constantine and Licinius ended. At this point, Crispus, Constantine II and Licinius were appointed Caesars, the latter two being babies or, at most, infants. At the mint of Nicomedia, which was in Licinius' part of the empire, a series of coins for the new Caesars was minted, obviously in a very hurried manner. The obv. portrait is giant, compared with the ones on subsequent issues (see ecoli's coin in https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=23609.0), and it can by no means depict a boy of two years. The mint-workers did their best to accomplish a portrait of fine, dignified style, but obviously had no idea what the portrait was to look like, nor what legends to use for the Caesars. The legends on this very rare first emission are FL VN CRISPUS NO CAS, F CL CONSTANTINUS NOV CS, and the following:

Obv. VA CO LICI - NIUS NOV CS (N CS is also known)
Laureate, draped (and, acc. to RIC, cuirassed? ???) bust left

Rev. IOVI CONS - ERVATORI AUGG
Jupiter, naked, with chlamys over l. shoulder, leaning on sceptre, Victory on globe in r. hand, palm-branch on ground left, mintmark  :Greek_Stigma: / SMN

RIC 26, r5 (a specimen in Vienna), aEF / EF condition.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Interesting Licinius II, Nicomedia RIC 26
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 09:21:56 pm »
Thanks for showing it Rupert - a great example of this large head / odd legend type I never knew existed!

Another sign of this being this being an early type is the reverse legend still showing AVGG vs CAESS on the later ones.

Ben

All coins are guaranteed for eternity