Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Medieval German States, need estimated date please.  (Read 1261 times)

jalmvs

Medieval German States, need estimated date please.
« on: November 11, 2005, 03:05:41 pm »
Hello,

I got this coin recently and I'd like to know
if is possible to find out more precisely when
it was made. I know it is from a medieval
(476-1492) German State specifically from the
city of Constance (Konstanze).
Obverse I think it says : EPSCORST ESCORRAD
Reverse: MORETA CIVITATIS CORST

I've been trying to find out on the net unsuccessfully.

Thank you for any info.

Jalmvs

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Medieval German States, need estimated date please.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 03:41:53 pm »
Hi Jalmus!

The letters on your coin are very odd and difficult to identify. But it was the time of Barroque. The correct spelling is S CONRAD ET S CONST and MONETA CIVITATIS CONST. That is 'Saint Conrad and Saint Constantius(?)' and 'The mint of the people of Constans'. The city of Konstanz was named after Constantius Chlorus and famous due to the Council of Constanz 1414-1418, where Jan Hus was burned and John Witcliff was declared heretic.

In the Saurmasche Collection I have found an information about your coin: http://someoldcoins.org/saur/g/s101.htm Sorry, there is no year of minting. But all the other coins are from the second half of the 16th century.

I hope I could help you

Best regards

jalmvs

Re: Medieval German States, need estimated date please.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 11:08:58 am »
Jochen,

Thank you for your help and your time. That's
the coin. Possibly it is from second half of
XV century as you suggest.

Best,

Jalmvs

All coins are guaranteed for eternity