Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bird on IVNO REGINA?  (Read 2486 times)

Offline Ed Flinn

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Consul
    • Gallienus and more
Bird on IVNO REGINA?
« on: November 06, 2005, 01:04:40 pm »
IVNO REGINA reverses were issued for many empresses, with a design featuring a large bird at Juno's feet.  This bird is frequently described as a peacock (I blame Sean O'Casey).

With prominent plumes on the head and tail folded up neat, this seems an odd depiction of a peacock.

I was recently paging thru the May 2003 Numismatist and saw an article on a medallion issued in France for their WWI ace Georges Guynemer, who flew with Les Cigognes.  The medallion's reverse includes the squadron's namesake storks in flight, and they appear to be the same bird as is seen on the IVNO REGINA coins.

I'm having no luck looking for a picture of a stork with prominent plumes (or one of the Guynemer medallion), so I'm interested to in your thoughts.  Peacocl, stork, or something else?

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: Bird on IVNO REGINA?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 01:57:33 pm »
It reminds me of the Constantinian phoenix, without the nimbus. I've no idea whether this would be appropriate for Juno though.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline frederic

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 02:01:41 pm »
Hi

I think it's really peacock.
Look this coin:http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sear/s1841.jpg

Regards
frederic

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 03:35:22 pm »
I too vote for a peacock. You can see his tall tail behind. Here it is not opened but closed.

Regards

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 04:01:24 pm »
But Sean O'Casey would blame Juno and the empresses and their coins.  They are what inspired his title, his motif.  As time goes on, Dionysos' panther becomes even odder than Juno's peacok.  Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity