Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantine II with horse on portrait  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Adrianus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Constantine II with horse on portrait
« on: October 24, 2005, 10:37:25 am »
Hi all,

A rare coin although not in marvellous condition. What makes this one even more unusual is that it appears to be barbarous. Although most elements of the coin are OK, the lettering is irregular and the obverse legend is garbled; there is clearly an error in the IVNNOBC which should end the legend. There are other slight elements (the Xs on the altar) which appear to point to an irregular origin.

Regards,

Adrianus

Offline Jeff Clark

• Procurator Monetae
  • Consul
  • VOTA PVBLICA
Re: Constantine II with horse on portrait
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 12:41:40 pm »
I think the legend ends IVN N C and doesn't appear garbled although there might be a little too much space there for just the last two letters.  The reverse legend seems more odd however.  I can't quite see BEATA TRAN - QVILLITAS being there.  It looks more like BEATA TR - ANQLITAS.  The mintmark looks very much like Trier and I don't think this shortened legend is known for Trier and, in fact, as written is not known at all with that break.
There is also the decorated shield on the obverse!  It looks like it could be Victory and Emperor type.
Jeff Clark

Offline Adrianus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 12:09:19 pm »
Hi Jeff,
Yes, my terminology was imprecise; when I used the term 'garbled' I was looking at the ending which doesn't fit either NOBC or NC. On the coin in hand it appears nearest to NOC. The mintmark is as you say clearly copying Trier with coin in hand. As you also point out the shortened form BEAT TRANQLITAS is unknown at Trier so I think it must be an imitation.
Regards,
Adrian

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 04:39:11 pm »
Hi,

Seeing this thread allows me to post a coin I sold several years ago. I do regret it but it allowed me to get the Carausius denarius thats in my gallery. All I have now is this photo and a plaster cast of it  :'(.

Regards,

Mauseus

HoloWolf

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 04:44:03 pm »
I think I see signs of a double strike on Adrianus' coin.
Am I seeing things?

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 06:04:49 pm »
Well, Mauseus' ex-coin is certainly the one in the best condition, since mine isn't too great either. Still I paid a lot of money for it some years ago (my most expensive small follis), since not only the bust is, naturally, very rare, but also the connection bust / legend is unlisted, and it's a hybrid coin with a Constantine reverse.

Obv. DN CRISPO - NOB CAES, helmeted, cuirased bust left, spear pointing backwards over left shoulder, horse held on bridle with left hand.
Rev. CONSTANTINI AUG around field inscription VO / TIS / XX, .P.L. in ex.

The bust type for Crispus is known in this issue, but with a different legend (DN IUL - CRIS - PO N C), mintmark below exergual line and without dots, and of course with Crispus' proper rev. type (VOT / V, CAESARUM NOSTRORUM around) (RIC 100, on plate II in RIC VII).

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity