Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Re-engraved coin-Discussion  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
Re-engraved coin-Discussion
« on: October 27, 2005, 06:04:01 pm »
What do you think about re engraved coin?
My opinion that it was used to keep in circulation some worn coins in Antiquity;and it's not always a sign of modern forgery....But it doesn't mean that each re engraved coin is ancient;but i recognise it's sometimes hard a real distinction in this field...
Discussion is open....All opinions are welcome
nassif

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
Re: Re-engraved coin-Discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 06:13:12 pm »
Sorry, but I do not believe that anyone in antiquity would re-engrave a coin to keep it in circulation. It would either be countermarked (such as Nero did) or withdrawn and melted down.

Alex.

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
Re: Re-engraved coin-Discussion
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 06:51:56 pm »
Yes,this was my first opinion;till i was told by some scholar friend[ph D-numismatic;this degree exist also..]that they did it on some coins..
First coin;Phoenicia - Colonial
Geta :197-209 AD      -Heliopolis
Obv:
CLETL-[LVCVSTO]
Bust of Geta laureate r., wearing cuirass and paludamentum, seen 3/4 behind.
Recut die.[the head was smoothly recut...]

Rev:
IOMH (above, traces), COL HEL (in exergue)
Temple of Jupiter Heliopolitanus seen in perspective, on podium and approached by a flight of steps; dots

Second coin-Phoenicia - Colonial-
Elagabal:218-222 AD.    -Sidon
Obv:
Recut die.[not well done as on the first one]
Bust of Elagabal r.; central cavity.

Rev:
[COL AVR PIA MET] SID[ON?]
Male figure wearing cloak, with sword on waist, on prow, running l., looking back; with extended r. arm he points forward, with l. holds cloak around waist.

I don't think that we can have a doubt that these coins are not ancient....
nassif

All coins are guaranteed for eternity