Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The Papal Corner  (Read 151974 times)

Offline stlnats

• Caesar
  • Release the puffin!
Re: The Papal Corner
« Reply #300 on: February 11, 2018, 04:51:03 pm »
I'm just getting around to updating my testone gallery, adding a number of coins I've purchased over the last year or so.  I purchased this lower grade M 110 because the die break at 3 o'clock on the reverse is much smaller/earlier than that which appears on the higher grade piece that was already in my gallery (image is from the seller).  While die breaks are quite common on the medals and some of the other states, I don't recall encountering many on the coinage of this era.

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #301 on: February 12, 2018, 01:25:35 am »
Nice piece, congratulation,  +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline stlnats

• Caesar
  • Release the puffin!
« Reply #302 on: February 13, 2018, 09:33:20 am »
TY Q.  Always fun to come across these small varieties/striking anomalies.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #303 on: July 04, 2018, 11:25:53 am »
My first Papal item:

Rome, Gregory X (Tebaldo Visconti), 1272-1276 Bulla 1272-1276, PB 38mm., 90.33g. GRЄ/GORIVS/· P P · X’ · in three lines; all within linear-beaded border; (Ω above P P). Rev. S PA S PE Bare heads of Sts. Paul and Peter, facing slightly r. and l., respectively, each within beaded halo; cruciform sceptrr between; all within beaded-linear border. Serafini I 1-2.

This will make for a nice display in the library, especially if I can find a matching document.

Offline stlnats

• Caesar
  • Release the puffin!
« Reply #304 on: September 05, 2018, 10:13:47 am »
Volume VI of CNORP is coming to market.  Covers the medals of 3 popes in the early - mid 17th century.   A bit pricey (ca US$200+ I think) but  is an incredibly researched, well illustrated reference necessary for anyone interested in the medals of the period.  It's in Italian but is easy to use. 

Offline Pabst Geschichte

• Praetorian
  • Vita est quoque brevis bibere vilis cervesia.
« Reply #305 on: February 13, 2019, 02:46:41 pm »
Did a search on the web for John Carlin Ryan, the founder of this discussion board "Fobilus Fanaticus", in hopes of maybe seeing if he had ever published Volume 2 of his A Handbook of Papal Coins...it turns out he passed away in July 2017.  Here's is the obituary I found. 
http://www.ruckfuneral.com/obituary/john-ryan
Requiescat in Pace.

Nice man. I met him once, and bought an Innocent XI half-piastra from him, back in 1998.

Meus consultum vobis est ut salus imbibo graviter.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #306 on: February 13, 2019, 06:30:38 pm »
Sad to hear that. He sent me a copy of his book.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline stlnats

• Caesar
  • Release the puffin!
« Reply #307 on: October 10, 2020, 02:02:23 pm »
The Annuale medal for 2020 was released at the end of August and I was able to get a silver example at that time from an acquaintance in Italy.  These are limited to 1500 in each of silver and bronze.  Gold examples were also struck, altho I don't have mintages for them.    This medal commemorates the 150th anniversary of Pius IX's proclamation of St Joseph as the patron of the "universal Church of Christ."

As in prior years, the papal arms continues to replace the portrait of Pope Francis on the obverse.  This year the reverse features St Joseph holding the Christ Child and a lily.  The dome of St Peters is in the background and the legend is "tu eris super domum meam" which translates, appropriately, as "you shall be over my house."

Sorry to post an image of the bronze very but don't seem to be able to get a satisfactory image of my silver one.  These were  produced in relatively small mintages and I don't know if its the mintage or CV this year, but examples don't seem to be showing up on ebay or the other venues that I've seen in the past.  I do think this is an improvement over the medals produced over the past few years so was glad to get the opportunity to add it to my collection.  

All coins are guaranteed for eternity