Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point with your mouse on a coin in the RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Roman Coins (Moderator: Severus_Alexander)  |  Topic: Calling all Probus geeks, er, experts.... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Calling all Probus geeks, er, experts....  (Read 1267 times)
Varangian
Caesar

Det er ikke å unngå fare det vi har komme!

« on: October 15, 2005, 10:23:45 am »

I'm re-cataloguing my collection, and have a question about this Probus ant from Ticinium.

I've looked at all the Probus sites on the web, WW and CoinArchives, and while I've found this type with a dot in either field, I haven't seen any with dots in both fields.  RIC and Cohen don't mention them, and the RIC plate coin has no dots.  They're not positioned as centering devices, as far as I can tell.

Anybody know what the dots mean, if anything?

Thanks!
maridvnvm
Tribunus Plebis 2008
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 10:52:54 am »

The dots appear on some coins with no apparent pattern in this series and they are not known to have any meaning.
Regards,
Marting
Varangian
Caesar

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 10:59:57 am »

Many thanks, just wanted to be sure!
Pscipio
Tribunus Plebis 2009
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 02:59:59 pm »

Gorgeous coin, though!

Robert_Brenchley
Comitia Curiata X
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Honi soit qui mal y pense.

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 04:27:51 pm »

I love this guy's fancy uniforms!

Robert Brenchley

My gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum
cscoppa
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

It's off to the races!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 06:39:02 am »

If you were not aware (but I am sure that you are) this is a CODED coin from the AEQVITI series of Probus. A VERY interesting series.

As you have stated there is little if any info about the dots. If they were used as a "time" stamp they would be for very short runs of coins as this series without the accompaniment of the star in left or right field has been narrowed down to a single year, 280. The Ticinum series with the star is attributed  to the next year, 281.

Chip

PECVNIAE IMPERARE OPORTET NON SERVIRE
Money should be mastered, not served.
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=12
Varangian
Caesar

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 09:33:11 am »

Hi, Chip!

Yeah, I knew it was part of the AEQVITI series, but I bought it because of the condition.  I need to change the date, though, I have it listed as 281.  Thanks!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Roman Coins (Moderator: Severus_Alexander)  |  Topic: Calling all Probus geeks, er, experts.... « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop