Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ghaznavid Id-confirmation  (Read 1743 times)

Offline blot-sven

• Consul
  • Trying is the first step towards failure
Ghaznavid Id-confirmation
« on: October 13, 2005, 03:54:58 pm »
I want to check the attribution of this coin (22mm).  Is this a coin of the Ghaznavid ruler Masud I (1030-1040)?

Many thanks in advance!

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: Ghaznavid Id-confirmation
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 06:03:41 pm »
After carefully looking through Sylloge Numorum Arabicorum Tubingen, Gazna/Kubul, XIV d Hurasan IV, I can't find this coin, which is very unusual. 

From the inscription on the image on the left (the reverse), I have serious doubts this is a coin of Mas'ud I.  Mas'ud I does not have a second line from the bottom like yours.  Also the starting character's style for the third line from the bottom is different than on yours.  The reverse inscription matchs early coins of Mahmud much better.  But, then I can't find a match with Mahmud either.

You will need an expert to look at this coin.  Or at least someone that can read the inscription completely.

Howard

Offline blot-sven

• Consul
  • Trying is the first step towards failure
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 09:36:53 am »
Thanks a lot for the help Howard.
I think it´s my coin that is posted on this site http://ghaznavid.ancients.info/masud/masud.htm as
MA294 (that is your site Howard?).
I also found a similar coin here: http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=16878&cat=2090&page=1 but since I can´t read these arabic letters very well I´m not sure.  Balkh mint is says there.

Thanks again!

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 04:34:48 pm »
Yes, that is a web site I created over 2 years ago.  Looks like I was wrong with the coin I listed and will have to change the mint.  At the same time, I'll have to buy another book!

I was told that I wouldn't really need the catalog for the Balkh mint.  Now it looks like I will have to buy it.

Looks like it is the same coin as illustrated on my page, and I would guess it is from the Balkh mint.  Now I will have to correct the page.  I need to do a lot of work on that site, maybe over Christmas.

Howard

All coins are guaranteed for eternity