Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 20, 2014, 04:26:37 pm
Search Calendar Login Register

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  For the New Ancient Coin Collector (Moderators: wolfgang336, cscoppa, Gavignano, Lucas H)  |  Topic: Newbie here.. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newbie here..  (Read 1083 times)
quebecer
« on: September 26, 2005, 11:48:34 am »

Hey all,

I am currently new to this forum, seems to be a nice community and im glad i can join it Smiley Ok, so I am new here, my only experience with collecting money, was not coin, but money paper when I was a teenager..i had an impressive collection of current money papers...anyways, now i am interested in getting some ancient coins, but the thing is I don't really know anything about them and how to see if someone is selling me a good/bad coin etc...

So, I'd like to know where i could get information and such and ....thank you!
*Alex
Procurator Caesaris
Quaestor
Caesar

Ne Iupiter quidem omnibus placet.

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 12:01:59 pm »

Is there a particular type/period (e.g. Greek, Roman, etc) of ancients that you are particularly interested in?
If you are unsure, take a look at the "Member's Galleries" and you will see a wide variety of the types of ancient coins which are collected by the board members.
Once you have decided what you want I am sure you will get all the help you need from the people here.

Alex.

Robert_Brenchley
Comitia Curiata X
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Honi soit qui mal y pense.

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 12:53:46 am »

Decide what price range you can manage, and look for coins that appeal to you. Get nice ones with some resale value. In time, you'll find that you gain particular interests which you can then concentrate on.

Robert Brenchley

My gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum
Simon
Comitia Curiata
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Tetartera Collector

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 01:44:16 pm »

Ask yourself " What is it it interests you most about ancients"? Is it the history behind the coin or the coin itself?

Buy a couple of coins and see what you like the most about them, my current collection was started because I found a coin that really grew on me, I began collecting that denomination.

Simon

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10240  A collection of tetartera from Alexius I to Alexius III
Andrew Martin I
Praetorian

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 01:50:18 pm »

Start small by buying inexpensive coins. See what you like. What are you interested in? Roman Imperial? Provincial? Republic? Greek Art? There is a lot to choose from. Maybe you're the kind of collector who will buy anything that appeals to them historically or visually (like me). Read some books about ancient coin collecting and ancient history in general.
slokind
Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Art is an experimental science

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 05:13:04 pm »

Yes, what you 'should' collect will grab you.  There are coinages, probably, that you hardly have seen or heard of, and some emperors and kings and poleis that are interesting in history may not be the most interesting in their coins.  Otherwise, it is like a ten-year-old child forcing himself to decide what he is going to be when he is 30 or 40.  Patricia Lawrence
Ecgþeow
Caesar

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 05:51:15 pm »

yes, look through the members gallery, where all kinds of coins are shown. Many people have links to their gallery at the end of their posts.  Also, this website is an excellent store.  The catalog has hundred (thousands?) of great coins for relatively cheap prices.  Also, go to the "For sale" board, where many members who also sell coins have links to their stores. 
welcome to the Forvm

~Zach

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  For the New Ancient Coin Collector (Moderators: wolfgang336, cscoppa, Gavignano, Lucas H)  |  Topic: Newbie here.. « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop