Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: PROBVS OTD  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
PROBVS OTD
« on: July 28, 2006, 12:11:40 pm »
I just got this one in.  The detail is fantastic! 

Probus Antoninianus
Attribution: RIC V 651, Siscia
Date: AD 276
Obverse: IMP C M AVR PROBVS
AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust r.
Reverse: CONCORD MILIT,
emperor stg. r. clasping hand of
Concordia, “B” between, XXI in
exergue
Size: 21.5 mm
Weight: 3.57 grams

Best, Noah

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Re: PROBVS OTD
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 12:19:05 pm »
It is a very nice coin which fits well into your collection - congrats!

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 12:31:49 pm »
That is a very nice coin. Are you sure that it is B in the centre field rather than P?
Regards,
Martin

Roland Mueller

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 12:38:46 pm »
Congrats, what a beautiful coin!!! It looks like hammered today - a hightlight for each collection.

roland

Offline Noah

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 01:12:52 pm »
Are you sure that it is B in the centre field rather than P?

I am not positive about that Martin.  Maybe one with more experience could clear that up for us.  In hand, it does look like the bottom "loop" of a "B".  Here is a close-up photo of it.

Best, Noah

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 03:15:19 pm »
The reason that I ask is that the officina B was only used on the early issues for this coin as Siscia, which have a very different style of bust to this later style, which is why I was checking.
Regards,
Martin

Offline Noah

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 08:30:30 pm »
That is interesting Martin.  So, if it is a "B", then it is atypical for this officina at this time?

Best, Noah

virtvsprobi

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 03:14:29 am »
It's definitely not a coin of the first two emissions. So it's problematic. Probably an error in 7th emission substituting B for P.
Martin has a Q//XXI with the exact type of bust from 7th em.

G/<

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 11:57:04 am »
I have around 150 or so Probus from Siscia but am far from an expert but I can say that the bust style doesn't match the early emissions (first and second), which were more like the following example:-

and these were the only ones that used the Greek officina scheme A, B,  :Greek_Gamma: etc., for Siscia in this way. As G/< mentions, the style of your coin is more typical of the much later emissions.

The P/B is an oddity, the lower part of the B seems badly formed and was surely intended as a P, whether some fors of die break could have malformed this into a B or whether the engraver made this error, we will probably never know. A nice and interesting coin nonetheless.
Regards,
Martin

virtvsprobi

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 12:04:40 pm »
I wrote about this coin to Philippe Gysen and here's his reply "I agree with you, this coin seems to belong to the 7th emission. However, the portrait style is also very close to the ones encountered in the 8th and 9th emissions. B//XXI is possible for the 8th em. but is not known with this reverse nor this obverse legend.

On the other hand, the letter shape looks like a P with an additional and irregular metallic encrustation which transforms the P into a strange and non-conventional B.

My personal conviction is rather a P than a B."

G/<

All coins are guaranteed for eternity