Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Medieval Studies Award Logo Design Submissions  (Read 8082 times)

Offline Pep

• Magistratus Optima Lege VI
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
Medieval Studies Award Logo Design Submissions
« on: September 12, 2005, 03:00:18 pm »
Greetings Fellow Forvm Members,

We on the Forvm Website Awards Nomination Committee are pleased to announce the creation of the "Forvm Award For Medieval Studies"!  We noticed that many of you are interested in the history of this time period and wish to nominate such sites for an award.  We have answered that call!  A launch date of February 2006 is planned for this endeavor.

In the meantime though, we need to come up with a logo for this Award.  We on the Committee feel that Victory is not necessarily an appopriate symbol for this subject like it is for our Numismatic Excellence and Classical Studies Awards.  Therefore, this thread serves as the beginning of another contest to find a logo for the Medieval Studies Award.

Any member of the FORVM's Classical Numismatic Discussion Board is welcome to submit designs on this thread.  Afterwards, a poll will be held for members to choose among these designs.  If no design wins a majority of the vote, the top two vote-getters will be entered in a runoff poll.

Like last time, Joe is offering $200 FORVM Bucks to the creator of the winning design!

Here are the requirements for any logo entry:

1.  The logo must include the name of our Award, "Forvm Award For Medieval Studies".  You may exclude the "For" if you wish.  It must not include any other wording.
2.  The logo must incorporate FORVM's logo (the four columns you see at the top of this page) in some manner.
3.  The logo must be no larger than 150x150 pixels.  Ideally, it should be the same size as our other logos, which is 125x125 give or take a few pixels.
4.  If your design wins, it must be possible to save it in the .gif format without noticable loss in quality.  The .gif format provides a smaller file that will load faster when accessing an Award Recipient's website.
To upload it on this thread and in the polls, it will have to be in the .jpeg format.  If you want to display a .gif instead, it must be uploaded to your own webspace and tags must be used here.  However, I suggest uploading a .jpeg so it can remain here for posterity.
As a suggestion, keep the working copy of your award image in a high resolution format like .bmp so you can go back and make changes if needed.  Saving .gifs and .jpegs repeatedly will decrease their quality each time.  Believe me, I've been in that situation and it is frustrating when you want to make changes and can not.

I have created a design of my own and posted it below for entry into this contest.  The Two Victories design of the other two Awards will also be an entry in the polls later on in case you the public favor it after all.  I included it below for your reference.

Designs will be accepted until 0000 GMT 8 October 2005.  Designs may be modified up until that deadline.

I hope I covered all possible questions here, if I missed something please ask!

Finally, we still have Website Award polls going on so please continue to participate in them and feel free to post comments to them if you wish.

Thank You and Good Luck!

Kevin  :)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: Medieval Studies Award Logo Design Submissions
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 06:32:46 pm »
Anyone interested? I don't have the skills for this.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 07:11:42 pm »
Not bad Pep.  I like it!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 07:39:15 pm »
Actually I think Pep's design would be hard to beat, it fits the ideals perfectly to my mind.

Alex.

TRPOT

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 08:30:16 pm »
I'll be banging up a few ideas within the next week or so.

TRPOT

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 11:45:20 am »
Are we allowed to submit more than one? Here's some I came up with. They may not be as appropriate as the "monk" submission (that IS a good idea) but I figured I might as well give it a shot anyway.

TRPOT

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 12:00:49 pm »
Actually, I just fixed the first one. The angels looked too blurry.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 03:10:19 pm »
Actually I think the idea of victories morphing into angels (which is exactly what happened if I understand the history of the imagery right) is excellent.
Robert Brenchley

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 03:39:12 pm »
Actually I think the idea of victories morphing into angels (which is exactly what happened if I understand the history of the imagery right) is excellent.

Number one is an attractive enough design and, although it seems little different from the current "Victory" logo, that similarity would provide a continuity of award across the different subjects.
I'm sorry TRPOT but I didn't like number two at all  :-[ - looks more welsh than medieval.

Alex.

TRPOT

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 03:53:02 pm »
Yeah, you're probably right about that. I got the dragon from a heraldry clip-art site and had my doubts about how "old" it was.

Never mind that though, #2 is just filler. I did it, so I figured I'd post it. The angel design is the one I stand behind.

Offline Pep

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2005, 10:04:12 pm »
Yes, members are allowed to submit multiple designs.

Neat ideas TRPOT, especially the angels!

Here is a page from one of our Numismatic Excellence Award recipients explaining the transformation from Victories to angels:

http://www.doaks.org/CoinExhibition/christianization/Christianization2main.html

TRPOT, do you want the dragon design entered in the polls too when the time comes?

Kevin

TRPOT

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2005, 10:22:14 pm »
Nah, sod the dragon.  ;D

Best Dad

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2005, 12:35:25 pm »
Is too bad that little Dragon is nice ;D
                             Best Dad.  8)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 02:58:26 am »
I did a search for dragon pics, but couldn't come up with anything convincingly medieval. There must be something out there.
Robert Brenchley

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 07:39:43 am »
I did a search for dragon pics, but couldn't come up with anything convincingly medieval. There must be something out there.

Why must something be out there? What is particularly medieval about a dragon?  ???

Alex.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2005, 09:42:38 am »
It was an ancient mythical beast which was used as a symbol of evil, due ti its ocurrence in Revelation. Since we're looking for a Medieval Studies logo, a medieval dragon would seem appropriate, rather than a modern Welsh one.
Robert Brenchley

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005, 10:56:53 am »
No, I think the dragon is too obscure. I don't see a dragon and automatically think "medieval", I'll go with the Angels or the monk. ;D

Alex.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2005, 02:35:35 pm »
You'reprobably right; the symbol was used a lot more widely, and the image of a knight going round bashing dragons and rescuing damsels really isn't very realistic!
Robert Brenchley

TRPOT

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2005, 10:24:26 am »
A picture of a dragon eating a monk with 2 angels watching overhead might work.

Offline Follibus Fanaticus

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2005, 05:14:03 am »
Sirs:

All very nice, but what do any of these submissions have to do with coins?  Angels -- the person is a "good" coin collector.  Color -- coins usually are gold, silver, red or black.

I saw in a book a Gothic column head that showed several mint workers striking coins.  Make that the basis for a coin award, rather than Puff, the Magic Dragon.

Follibus Fanaticus
Follibus Fanaticus

TRPOT

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2005, 08:06:27 am »
Sirs:

All very nice, but what do any of these submissions have to do with coins?  Angels -- the person is a "good" coin collector.  Color -- coins usually are gold, silver, red or black.

I saw in a book a Gothic column head that showed several mint workers striking coins.  Make that the basis for a coin award, rather than Puff, the Magic Dragon.

Follibus Fanaticus

There's lots of images that would be appropriate, but try shrinking them down to under 125 pixels square and still leave room for the text and you'll see that there's quite a limit to what kinds of pictures you can use.

Besides, it's an award for websites covering Medieval studies, which go well beyond the subject of coins.

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2005, 08:31:03 am »
The Isle of Man government, in it's efforts to issue more coins than anyone else, still issues gold "angels" to this day  ::)
-:Bacchus:-

Offline Pep

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2005, 05:40:01 pm »
Sirs:

Follibus Fanaticus

Hello Follibus and everyone else, I'm glad to see discussion going on here for creating the best logo design!  However, I see the need to clarify some misunderstandings so:

We actually have three awards, including the new "Forvm Award For Medieval Studies".

The first one is the "Forvm Award For Numismatic Excellence".  It is for sites that focus on any kind of coinage from ancient times until the end of hand-striking.  Its logo is:

The second is the "Forvm Award For Classical Studies".  It is for sites that cover the history/archeology of the Greco-Roman world and other civilizations that interacted with that world.  Its logo is posted at the bottom of this post.  It uses the same design as "Numismatic Excellence" because the Victories hold significance in the Classical World beyond coinage.  Some recipients of this award may by chance have a small amount of coin information but not enough to warrant a "Numismatic Excellence" Award for such sites instead.  A recipient may also not mention coins at all since coins are not a requirement for this award.

The third is being created here as the "Forvm Award For Medieval Studies".  It is for sites that cover the history/archeology of the medieval era.  Since Victories were not part of the medieval mindset, we are coming up with new award logo ideas in this thread.  Just like with "Classical Studies", recipients may by chance have limited coin coverage that doesn't instead qualify them for "Numismatic Excellence" or they may have not any coin material at all.

I hope that more members will join in the contest and submit designs!  I extended the deadline by a week before polling begins for your favorite one.  Oh, and there are those $200 Forvm Bucks waiting for the winner!

Thank you,

Kevin

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2005, 02:53:59 am »
Can anyone find an image of mint workers striking coins which would work at that size? The main thing is to find something appropriate for the Medieval period.
Robert Brenchley

Offline Pep

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2005, 05:36:51 am »
I think we need to stay away from any coin themes for the Medieval Studies Award, it may further confuse the issue on what the award is about.

Kevin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity