Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: a question about first Ottoman copper coins  (Read 2404 times)

iaculator

a question about first Ottoman copper coins
« on: September 01, 2005, 08:14:22 am »
is there an identified sample of copper coins belonging to Osman Ghazi ( Osman I ) (the first Ottoman Empire 1299/1326) available now?

if yes would u please send me its photo? if no what s the inscription or pictures on it?

thanks a lot...

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: a question about first Ottoman copper coins
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 05:25:08 pm »
Here is what Stephen Album writes about this.

"Several scholars have attempted to assign varius anonymous types to Osman I (699-724), but none of these attempts is convincing.  However, it is likely that some imitative Ilkhan types were struck in areas under the authority of Osman I.  Further research is needed."

Howard

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
Re: a question about first Ottoman copper coins
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 10:33:37 am »
Hi All

This further research was done. Stephen Album's view dates back to the late 90s. Well according to Nuri Pere who published a extended work on Ottoman Coins in the 60 the coin labelled as Nuri Pere 1 is identified as the first Ottoman Mangir. However experts such as Slobodan Srekovic argued that this coin is a modern forgery. Though the coin is in a museum in Istanbul and it is broken and holed. If you go to www.zeno.ru then to Islamic coins and then Ottoman and click the Osman folder then you will see this coin there. This coin is unique. Moreover just this year another example was found which looks similar to Ilkhanid coinage and was mistaken as an Anatolian Beylik coin that has now been IDed as Osman Ghazi. This coin's image can be viewed in the April or May issue of the Turkish Numismatic Society.

Best wishes,
Burak

All coins are guaranteed for eternity