Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A Portrait of Edward the Eighth  (Read 3213 times)

Offline Follibus Fanaticus

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
A Portrait of Edward the Eighth
« on: August 13, 2005, 09:15:10 am »
On another web site a discussion developed that might interest readers on this site.  It follows:

Dear British Museum:

Please forward my communication to the coin [numismatic, if you must use the word] department.

On my opera web site, we had a discussion on who is ruler of England:  Elizabeth or Francis, both Second of that name.  I added an incident from my early coin collecting days.  On second thought, I thought that an eyewitness account of the promulgation of the 3-penny bit of Edward VIII into the hands of some collectors and many non-collectors might interest historians of British coins at your institution.

Letter excerpt follows
------------------------------

You like royal chit-chat.  Here's some for you to share with your web buddies.

I used to know one Thomas Warfield [that name] from Baltimore [right city], Maryland [right State].  He had a second cousin or cousin, Wallace [right  woman].  Tom was a coin dealer, and I have collected coins since grade school.  Tom told me a story about the financial brilliance of his cousin-by-marriage, "Duke," as some of the Warfields called the deposed Edward VIII.

On the night he resigned the crown, the deposed Edward, or his aide, chucked into his bags a pouch -- a bag mind you -- of pattern 3-penny bits.  These showed the portrait of Edward VIII.  Of all the treasures he could have looted, this was the most clever.

Later in life, the Windsors got hard up at times.  When they absolutely had to pay a bill, where did Edward go?  To Tom Warfield.  The three-penny bit contained the only portrait of Edward VIII ON A COIN that the Royal Mint slip past the British Museum.  I remember the 1967 or 1968 American Numismatic Association convention in Washington, D.C. well.

Tom knew I was collecting one coin of each English monarch from William I to Elizabeth II.  [I never did find an Edward V -- yes, Edward V -- they are rare.]  Tom waltzes up and says, "Lookie here."  He had two Edward VII portrait 3-penny bits.  "Wally's godd'a have new clothes, and Duke needs money."  Tom had one coin that had a scratch, for which he was getting $10,000 for Duke and $2,000 for himself.  All cash  -- no paper trail ever on these bits-o-history.  "Some woman will give me $20,000 for the perfect one," quoth Tom.  "I get an $4,000 on top of that as my cut.  I'll bet I could nave asked for $5,000 -- she wants the coin so bad."

Hay, $5,000 per annum was a good wage at the time.

Recently, I have read several auction catalogs which featured the "rare," legendary, "perhaps 10 in private hands" 3-penny bit of Edward VIII.  The estimates are over $50,000.  Look, the British Museum says "Rare" means less than 10 to 20 items known.  "Scarce" means less than 50 known.  I know old Tom sold more than 50 Edward VIII 3-penny bits to filthy rich Americans, most of whom did not collect coins.

Cheers,

John Ryan

letter to I.G. ends
--------------------------------------

Tom Warfield maintained a palatial coin store in Baltimore, where I grew up.  I am a native Washingtonian, not a Baltimor-on.  I had visited Tom's shop when I was a teenager, and he was delighted to I was still collecting coins.  I asked him about an Edward V  -- he just laughed.  I learned that Tom could get hold of the rarest and most sought after coins on earth, for a price naturally.  I often wondered if Duke and Wally helped him.  [That's what they were known in in the authentic Baltimor-on dialect of English.]

Well  -- Cheers

Follibus Fanaticus
Follibus Fanaticus

BCNumismatics

A portrait of King Edward VIII.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 02:46:48 pm »
The only coins that were struck for circulation in the name of King Edward VIII are the following;

British West Africa 1/10,1/2,& 1 Penny.

East Africa 1,5,& 10 Cents.

Fiji 1 Penny.

New Guinea 1 Penny.

British pattern sets dated 1937 do exist,but these are unobtainable.

The 12 brass 3 Pence coins that escaped into circulation were struck for testing vending machines.

Aidan.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity