Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: C1/L1 Liberator Orbis - Cohen  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
C1/L1 Liberator Orbis - Cohen
« on: August 09, 2005, 06:47:16 pm »
I quite enjoy browsing through the online edition of Cohen as you find all sorts of stuff that's not in RIC.

http://www.inumis.com/rome/books/cohen/index.html

I just noticed an interesting thing in Cohen's listing for LIBERATOR ORBIS for Licinius I - a type that exists for both Constantine and Licinius but is unlisted in RIC.

We've previously discussed this type here:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=11036.0

The interesting thing in the Cohen entry is that he notes it for Licinius with both R*S and ALE mintmarks. The R*S indicates Rome, hence struck by Constantine, per the examples that have been seen, but ALE indicates Alexandria struck by Licinius - something new!

The significance of this, if Cohen can be trusted on the ALE mintmark (he indicates a specimen in Paris, but doesn't say which mintmark), is that with Licinius issuing the type as well as Constantine, and obviously after Max Daia's demise, it makes it clear that the type must be celebrating the defeat of both Maxentius AND Max Daia (and confirms a date of late 313-314), and makes it numismatic precursor to the edict of Milan.

Ben

All coins are guaranteed for eternity