Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: "Civic" Alexanders - references?  (Read 1217 times)

Offline rjohara

• Consul
  • Once long ago the Milesians were brave.
    • Ancient Greek Coins of Miletus
"Civic" Alexanders - references?
« on: July 30, 2005, 06:41:36 pm »
I'm trying to learn about the "civic" Alexander silver, particularly of Ionia. As I understand it, these were essentially continuations of the well-recognized Heracles/Zeus types well after Alexander's death until perhaps 150BC, but issued under local control (and with the Alexander types because they were familiar in the marketplace). Is there a standard reference for these "civic" Alexanders, or have they been studied mainly on a city-by-city basis? Does Martin Price's volume _Coinage in the Name of Alexander the Great and Philip Arrhideus_ cover these issues, or are the specifically not included because they aren't "in the name of" Alexander? (I haven't seen that reference yet.)

Many thanks.

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: "Civic" Alexanders - references?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 06:49:02 pm »
If you are referring to the coins that were struck at Lampsacus, Rhodes, Kolophon, etc., with marks and monograms of these towns but the normal Herakles / Zeus Aetophoros types and the legend ALEXANDROU or ALEXANDROU BASILEOS: yes, they're covered in Price's book, regardless of which authority really minted them. Right down to the last pieces 125 - 70 BC from Odessos. Miletos is covered by nos. 2077 to 2222, from 325 to 165 BC.

Best regards,

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline rjohara

• Consul
  • Once long ago the Milesians were brave.
    • Ancient Greek Coins of Miletus
Re: "Civic" Alexanders - references?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 07:11:55 pm »
Many thanks indeed, Rupert. Just what I wanted to know. Looks like another book I'll have to put on my wish list.

RJO

All coins are guaranteed for eternity