Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: AMNG  (Read 2523 times)

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
AMNG
« on: July 12, 2004, 08:47:19 pm »
Can anybody tell me how many parts and pages the volume (Band II) of AMNG dealing with Thrace is made up of?

Many thanks,
Steve

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re:AMNG
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 09:02:24 pm »
Only Part 1 was ever published, covering Abdera, Ainos, Anchialos, 308 pp., 8 pl., F. Muenzer and M.L. Strack, Berlin 1912.
Curtis Clay

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 09:15:54 pm »
Thanks Curtis.

A small matter of World War I intervening one presumes.

Steve

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 10:37:50 pm »
    The lost war ended the funding for any such work, plus a lot of the younger generation of German numismatic scholars were killed in the war, including, I believe, M.L. Strack.  Of course the effects were just as devastating on the European "winners", France, Britain, and Italy!
    The only AMNG volume publ. after the war, III.2, Macedonia and Paionia, 1935, by H. Gaebler, is a sad spectacle.  It has 40 plates, which however had been printed 40 years earlier, in 1895, and whose existence was the only reason that something, anything, finally had to be published!
    This volume is a description EXCLUSIVELY of the coins illustrated in the plates, with a fair number of interesting notes and explanations appended to the descriptions.  
     How inadequate this is may be judged from the fact that the plates were the WEAKEST part of the superb earlier AMNG volumes.  The strength of those volumes is the exhaustive, meticulous cataloguing of all specimens of the coinages in question that were found in existing collections or had been published in earlier works, plus the illuminating introductions to the provinces and the individual mints, all with, unfortunately, far too few illustrations.
     The exhaustive catalogue and excellent introductions, the meat of the earlier volumes, were entirely omitted from III.2 of 1935.  All we get is a description of the interesting, but far too selective plates, plus comments which go some way towards replacing the missing introductions.
Curtis Clay

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 11:00:26 pm »
I am discovering some of that myself, having got my hands on the Dacia/Moesia and Thrace parts (hence the initial question) - though it is difficult to get anything like the full value of it when your German is limited to ordering coffee and asking the way to the railway station.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 11:29:18 pm »
Herr Wachtmeister, wo ist der Bahnhof, bitte?
Geradeaus, dann rechts!
That I believe was part of the dialogue in Lesson 1 of my beginning German book in college!
Curious that I remember that, for in the intervening 40 years I am sure I have never once spoken the word Wachtmeister.  
I don't think that word is used to address policemen in Austria, where I lived for fifteen years!
Anyway, as I have stated earlier, German and French are essential for serious study of ancient coins.  You should try to build up your German!
Curtis Clay

EmpressCollector

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 08:30:02 am »
Ha Ha.

I still remember my lesson one of French from 1976 (not positive about the spelling, though)

"Monsieur Jean-Claude, Monsieur Jean Claude! Telefon!"
"Une moment, Madam, J'arrive."
"C'est une jeunne fille  ;)"

And I still remember lesson one of German from 1978

"Verzeihen Sie!"
"Ah, du, Walter! Du bist in Berlin?"
"Ja, ich bin zur Messe hier."

Lesson one of a foreign language is always a memorable occasion. :D

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 08:45:29 am »
It has 40 plates, which however had been printed 40 years earlier, in 1895....

Do you mean these plates were published somewhere in 1895?  Where?

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 09:51:32 am »
    No, the plates were printed in 1895, then stored (I presume) at the publishers' until finally published in 1935.
    Reminiscent of Stevenson's Dictionary, pp. 1-829 printed before S's death in 1853 but only published in 1889; and Dressel's book on the Roman medallions in Berlin, pp. 1-352 printed between 1937 and 1942, but only published in 1973.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity