Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ephesus: :Greek_Gamma: or :Greek_Delta: Neocorate  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Silver and Gold? -Yuck!
Ephesus: :Greek_Gamma: or :Greek_Delta: Neocorate
« on: July 19, 2005, 03:28:47 am »
Perhaps someone with access to a good reference on Ephesus would care to take a look and see whether this coin was struck when the city had three (:Greek_Gamma:) or four  ( :Greek_Delta:) neocorates. I.e., does the rev legend read EFECIWN D NEWKORWN or EFECIWN G NEWKORWN?

Thanks,

Auto

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Silver and Gold? -Yuck!
Re: Ephesus: :Greek_Gamma: or :Greek_Delta: Neocorate
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 09:49:25 am »
It seems that all the sources point towards this being a gamma coin.

Auto

Roland Mueller

Re: Ephesus: :Greek_Gamma: or :Greek_Delta: Neocorate
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 11:37:03 am »
On the original coin I can read EFECIWN and NEWKORWN. Between this name should be the G or D but, just on the oposite side is the CM and I am not able to see what ist is! I mean it is rather G than D.
Roland

All coins are guaranteed for eternity