Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Medieval, Islamic, and Crusader COTD  (Read 69458 times)

Offline lv88

• Consul
    • Armenian Numismatic Page
Medieval, Islamic, and Crusader COTD
« on: June 16, 2005, 02:49:25 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I thought I would start a new topic similiar to the "Byzantine COTD". Post a coin you like, not neccesarily from your collection, and discuss it a bit.

Best,
Levon

yafet_rasnal

Re: Medieval, Islamic, and Crusader COTD
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 07:45:15 am »
So silent post ...ok i add something: a couple of coins of Guglielmo II king of Sicily (1111-1127)

Follaro (= follis)

Trifollaro (=3 follis)

Offline lv88

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 08:39:33 am »
Hi,

Thanks for the post. I suppose this is one of those coins issued by christian rulers bearing Arabic.  I take great interest in them. Keeping on the topic here is a Georgian coin bearing both Arabic and Georgian characters from a Baldwin Auction:

Queen T'amar, heavy large Fals, 27.5g, an irregular double planchet stamped twice each side, two obverses, two reverses, with parts of border legends visible, countermarked twice, once on each obverse impression (as Pachamov 2 and 6). Very fine.

yafet_rasnal

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 09:47:59 am »
Yes they had half of population that was arab and also arab soldier of fortune in the army.
About the coin you posted ... i wonder how it was to have it into the pocket  ;D

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 11:10:20 am »

Bohemond IV. BI Denier. Antioch mint 1201-1233AD.
Obv. +BOAMVNDVS Head of Crusader left, wearing chainmail coif and helm with nasal, crescent in left field, star in right field.
Rev. +ANTIOCHIA Cross with crescent in second quarter.
Malloy ?, Metcalf ?. As struck.
Rare in this condition.
                                                    LordBest. 8)

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 05:35:59 pm »
Hi all

Well Levon this is a good topic. Thanks for starting it.
I would also like to contribute.

Here we have an image of a historically important coin.
This is the first Ottoman Gold coin but also the first Islamic coin series minted in Qstantaniyye (Constantinople, Istanbul)

The first Gold coin and Islamic gold coin from Istanbul was actually minted in 882AH and this one is from 883AH. The condition is imaculate.

Here is the full ID. Ottoman AV Sultani, Mehmed II (The Conquere or the destroyer of the Byzantine Empire), 883AH, Qstanyaniyye.

Best wishes,
Burak

Offline lv88

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2005, 05:43:40 pm »
Hi Burak,

Interesting coin, I saw it up for auction, and it was quite expensive. Hope you get it. : )

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 05:46:12 pm »
Yes this coin if for offer right now. But I doubt I will get it. It is offered by my mentor. He offered this coin to me for 600 dollars but at this time I couldnt afford it now I wished I got a bankloan or an overdraft.

Burak

Offline lv88

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2005, 06:02:59 pm »
I found myself in a similiar situation. The same seller was selling a bilingual dram, but, because I have just sent payment for another one, I could not afford it. I will post the image of the one I got in a day or so.

Best,
Levon

Offline lv88

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 09:11:12 pm »
I can finally post the bilingual I have been talking about. After a few mishaps with the USPS, I finally got this today:

Cilician Armenia, Hetoum I, AR Bilingual Dram (A.H. 639).

Obv. Equestrian king Hetoum holding a scepter. Cross fieldmark behind king. Surrounding inscription in Armenian:

" ՀԵԹՈՒՄ ԹԱԳԱՒՈՐ ՀԱՅՈՑ"
(Hetoum King of Armenians).

Rev. Three line inscription, and then a  counterclockwise surrounding inscription (In Arabic):

" ﻢﻈﻋﻻﺍ ﻥﺎﻄﻠﺴﻟﺍ 
ﻦﻳﺪﻟﺍﻭ ﺎﻴﻧﺪﻟﺍﺙﺎﻴﻏ 
ﺩﺎﺒﻘﻴﻛ ﻦﺑ ﻭﺮﺴﺨﻴﻛ "

(The Sublime Sultan Protector of the World and Faith Kaikhusrew Son of Kaiqobad).

" ﻭ ﻊﺴﺗ ﺔﻨﺳ ﺲﻴﺴﺑ ﺏﺮﺿ
 ﻦﻴﺜﻼﺛ
 ﺔﺋﺎﻤﺘﺳ ﻭ "
( Struck in the City of Sis, in the Year Nine and Thirty and Six Hundred).

These are rare and beatiful pieces, and show superior calligraphic workmanship to their Seljuq counterparts. The reasons for issuing these are still unclear. Some suggest it was a token of Armenian suzernity to the Seljuqs, others a friendship treaty, and a recent theory suggests these were issued to facilitate trade with Seljuqs.

Enjoy, and I hope to see some coins from you guys.

Levon

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 06:56:55 am »
Levon

Your coin is very handsome and clearly well worth the wait.  It is a good example of how the fact that it is holed does not impact its artistry. 

I especially like the equestrian issues of Cilician Armenia

John
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline lv88

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 11:19:30 am »
Thank you John!

It was a blessing to find the holed one. I originally found a really nice A.H. 641 dram for a higher price. When I called the seller he said that it was sold, though offered me this one at half the cost. Quite the luck!

Levon

Roland Mueller

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2005, 12:13:35 pm »
Hi LordBest,

It was in 1952 when I was able to buy a lot of aprox. 150 silver denars from Bohemundus. My fathers freind, an Italien Citicen found it in Italy. As he knows that I am collecting coins I could buy the whole lot. I have to ask for credit from my father. I was surprised that none of the coins are from the same die!!! All of them where well preserved (see the scan). How many coins they had produced at that time!?
I have still around 70 pieces in my collection, some a exchanged against greek bronze coins.
Regards
Roland

Offline lv88

• Consul
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2005, 11:35:06 pm »
Moderators, could this be made into a sticky topic ?

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2005, 01:18:04 am »
Wow, and I thought I was lucky finding a hoard of six Bohemonds for sale! :o
                                                LordBest. 8)

Offline lv88

• Consul
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2005, 06:04:09 pm »
Hi Everyone,

It has been a while since anyone posted any coins in this section - Lets see more participation come on! :)
Anyhow, this is a coin that I send payment for just today:

Shaddadids, Al-Fadl I bin Muhammad Shaddadi, minted in Janza (Gandzak), 400 AH/1009 AD, month of Muharram.

Debased AR Dirham.
19mm, 3.06grams.

The Shaddadids were a minor Kurdish dynasty in Armenia, ruling in various places from about 950 to the 1170s AD. Most coins of this dynasty, with one or two exceptions are extremely rare. This type is the most common because large hoard of these [with exact ruler,date, mint etc...] was found in the early 90's. These types are usually in poor shape, and this one is in better than average shape. These debased silvers formed local currency in Armenia and the surrounding Transcaucus regions.

Album - 1491

K.A. Mousheghian. Monetary Circulation In Armenia No. 187.

i-xan

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2005, 02:37:50 pm »
Yes they had half of population that was arab and also arab soldier of fortune in the army.

If you meant Georgia and Georgian army, then sorry, probably you were wrong. I'm deeply interested in Georgian history and know for sure that some arabs maybe were living only in Tiflis, of course not constituting half of population. and of course there were no Arab mercenaries in Georgian army, rather North-Caucasians.

Regards,
I-xan

Bogdan C

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2006, 12:54:24 pm »
Well, after ~8 years of collecting Wallachian and Moldavian coins, here are some of my favourite specimens:
-the first is a silver groschen (~20mm and 1g) issued by the Moldavian ruler Petru Musat (cca 1375-1391)
-second is a reformed groschen (~15mm and 0.5g) issued by the most popular Moldavian ruler, Stephen the Great (1357-1504).

Bogdan C

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2006, 01:01:32 pm »
The next two coins are:
-an excellent silver ducat of the Wallachian ruler Mircea the Elder (1386-1418), depicting ruler standing holding tilted spear;
-a (still) unpublished divisionary nominal (ban, AR 11 mm 0.28g) attributable to the Wallachian ruler Vladislav II (1447-1448, 1448-1456), the only known ban from this ruler.

I hope you enjoyed them  :)

Offline lv88

• Consul
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2006, 12:16:51 pm »
HI!

Nice pieces!

Best,
Levon

Offline lv88

• Consul
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2006, 01:53:32 pm »
Another Shaddadid aquisition I would like to share. For only two dollars, who could resist the bargain?

Shavur I bin al-Fadl, AR dirham, mint ?, date? 23 mm, 4.43 g.

Obverse   Petal design with dots in the field. Surrounding inscription in Arabic. On outer margin an oddly decorated border.

ﻞﺭﻆﻔ ﻦﺒ ﺮﻭﺎﺸ ﻞﺟﻻﺍ  ﺮﻳﻤﻻﺍ

"Al Amir, Al Ajal Shawur, bin Fadl."
The Emir, The Respectable Shavur, Son of Fadl. 

Reverse Arabic inscription in an odd shaped border. Outer margin has Arabic, but unclear and mostly destroyed.

ﺪﻤﺤﻣﻪﻠﻟﻻﺍﻪﻟﺍ
ﻪﻠﻟﺍﻝﻮﺳﺭ
ﻰﺑﻣﺎﻗﻠﺍ
ﻪﻟﻟﺍ

"La Ilah Ilaa llah Mohammad rasul Allah. al Qa'im billah."
There is no God but Allah, Muhammad is the messenger of Allah. al-Qaim (name of caliph). 

Offline lv88

• Consul
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2006, 07:24:56 pm »
Another Georgian COTD, an interesting piece -

Georgia, Queen Rusudan, AE

Image Courtesy I. Paghava

Obv. Georgian letters RSN for queens name and date koronikon 447 =1227 surrounding. Date is frozen on these coins.

Rev. Arabic four line inscription for queens name and titles.

al maleka almuluk walmalikat
jalaliddunia waddawlat waddine
Russdan bint Tamar zahhir Al
Masih a'aza llah Ansarahu

----

Struck at about time of invasions of Jalal al-Din. Mint not on coin, but possible Tiflis or Kutaisi.

Offline byzantiumcoins

• Consul
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2007, 05:35:38 am »
Looks Byzantine at first sight, but ...

Arab-Byzantine, AE Half Follis (large module) (5,83g) of the SCYTHOPOLIS mint
These half folles are imitating the half folles of Justin II and Sophia of the Antioch mint.

Ref.: Yarmouk Num. vol. 1, (1989) no. 7
Amitai-Preiss, Berman, Quedar, "The coinage of Scythopolis-Baysan and Gerasa-Jerash"
in Israel Numismatic Journal. vol. 13, 1994-99, p. 133 ff. / pl. 19, B1
M. Oddy, ARAM vol. 6 (1994) p. 417, no. 9 ( ex Spink, Zurich, 20.06.1989, lot 195 )
( not in SICA )

Byzantiumcoins

yafet_rasnal

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 03:59:47 pm »
After a visit with Rugser in a Rome museum here's a cool pic:
Theodoricus 3 solidi coin

Offline byzantiumcoins

• Consul
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2007, 01:45:14 am »
Great coin but unfortunately not in reach for any of us   :(

Solidi of Theoderic like the one below can be found now and then, I bought it on eBay as a regular Anastasius Solidus  ;)

Byzantiumcoins

All coins are guaranteed for eternity