Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Poll

Forvm Award For Classical Studies?

Yes
16 (88.9%)
No
2 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: June 28, 2005, 09:36:22 pm

Author Topic: Antiqua Medicina - From Homer to Vesalius - Award Poll  (Read 15630 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Antiqua Medicina - From Homer to Vesalius - Award Poll
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 06:54:08 pm »
I vote with YES! Where you get all these nice sites?

Best regards

Offline Pep

• Magistratus Optima Lege VI
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 05:28:12 pm »
I vote with YES! Where you get all these nice sites?

Best regards

Some are nominations from the Forvm public.  Some are ones found by Committee members.  This particular site is one I found while looking for some information on Galen.

Kevin  :)

sboscovitch

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 11:26:13 pm »
It goes against my better judgement to recommend a website from UVA (I graduated from Virginia Tech, their arch-rival), though I must say this website is pretty nice.  Lots of really good information, organized in good fashion.  Well done (even though it was written by a Cavalier!)

-Steve

Offline Roma_Orbis

• Consul
  • ad avgvsta per angvsta
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 05:15:43 pm »
a good survey of the ancient medicine, but I'm quite disappointed with the iconography; in particular, the section "Surgery and Surgical Instruments" doesn't even show some real artifacts! While there are many referenced ones; the ones I know already: from Pompei, from a 3rd cent. tomb of a doctor found near Paris, ....
I would also have liked to see a mention about the magical stones with apotropaic power that the Romans used to wear in rings. Also a better case studies section with some ancient description of diseases with current identification, for example.

Well, deserves a positive vote anyway  ;)

Jérôme 8)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity