Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: OK, let's see those Ugly Ducklings...  (Read 22084 times)

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
Re: OK, let's see those Ugly Ducklings...
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2018, 03:55:56 pm »
EGYPT, Alexandria. Hadrian Dichalkon 137-38 AD Pomegranate

Reference.
cf RPC III, 6261; Emmett 1199.22

Issue   L KB = year 22

Obv.
Laureate head of Hadrian, right

Rev L ΚΒ
Pomegranate

2.07 gr
15 mm
12h
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2018, 02:06:38 am »
Vespasian, first issue of 71 with full name VESPASIANVS:

IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG P M T P P P COS III, bust laureate r. resting on globe and with aegis on shoulder

FIDES EXERCITVVM, S C in ex. , clasped hands before legionary eagle on prow.

The obverse die is A23 in Colin Kraay's unpublished Oxford dissertation, the rev. die P75. Kraay didn't know this die combination, but it is recorded by RIC 70 from a single specimen in the Termopolio Hoard from Pompeii, published in 1997.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2018, 06:57:52 am »
Hi folks,

How about this one? (first coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/ri_aug_ae_ptR03.htm

It may be a sea salvaged (salt water?) coin.

Meepzorp

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2018, 06:59:22 am »
both eaten alive your and Randy

All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2018, 10:19:48 am »
The obverse die is A23 in Colin Kraay's unpublished Oxford dissertation, the rev. die P75. Kraay didn't know this die combination, but it is recorded by RIC 70 from a single specimen in the Termopolio Hoard from Pompeii, published in 1997.

Randy,

I'd be curious to learn your source for this information, since I think it must ultimately come from me. The number of people having access to a copy of Kraay's unpublished dissertation, and the inclination to use it to check dies, must be extremely small!
Curtis Clay

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2018, 10:45:02 am »

Randy,

I'd be curious to learn your source for this information, since I think it must ultimately come from me. The number of people having access to a copy of Kraay's unpublished dissertation, and the inclination to use it to check dies, must be extremely small!

That's very interesting to me, since I own another example of RIC V 70, which has been recorded by the late Ted Buttrey in the RIC II A&C.

Kind regards

Alberto

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2018, 02:06:20 pm »

Randy,

You were the source :) a little over 7 years ago.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-74735

"Looks like Vespasian, first issue of 71 with full name VESPASIANVS:

IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG P M T P P P COS III, bust laureate r. resting on globe and with aegis on shoulder

FIDES EXERCITVVM, S C in ex. , clasped hands before legionary eagle on prow.

These are rare types: only one other obv. die of the issue shows this combination of aegis and globe for the bust, and this is the only rev. die of the FIDES EXERCITVVM type used in the issue, though a second such die was used later in the year with Vespasian's name abbreviated VESPASIAN (no -VS).

To see what your dies looked like before the corrosion, see RIC pl. 18, 117 and pl. 16, 71 for the obv. and rev. respectively! These are the same two dies on well preserved specimens in other die combinations."

"thanks for the help Curtislclay !"

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2018, 02:37:50 pm »
Thanks for the confirmation!

A little late, but please correct my typo in the last line: "TheSe are the same two dies", not "TheRe are".
Curtis Clay

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2018, 02:17:45 am »
Fixed :) Didn't notice that either. Thanks again for the i.d.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity