Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: OK, let's see those Ugly Ducklings...  (Read 22086 times)

Offline Varangian

• Caesar
  • Det er ikke Ã¥ unngÃ¥ fare det vi har komme!
OK, let's see those Ugly Ducklings...
« on: April 28, 2005, 01:00:01 am »
You know what I'm talking about. 

That flagship specimen of butt-ugly you keep stashed in a dark corner of your cabinet. 

The one you know you should try to pawn off on some suck...ah, connesieur on Ebay, or just toss in the slug jar, but for whatever reason you know you'll never do it.  The one that you'll never show off, but can't bring yourself to be rid of it.

Here's mine.  A Vespasian IVDAEA CAPTA sestertius I got as part of a lot.  Yeah, that's what it looks like in hand.  Every time I look at the hideous thing, I think I'll toss it in the junk jar.  But when I hold that heavy bronze frisbee (35mm/20g) in my hand, it just seems to stick until I place it back in its flip and in the cabinet.

Let's see 'em!  I can't be the only one!

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: OK, let's see those Ugly Ducklings...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 06:15:03 am »
If you want ugly, I can give you ugly. This one is acting as a space filler, which is something I do not usually do but this came for the price of a cup of coffee and so I couldn't resist.

Obv:– IMP PROBVS INV AVG, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
Rev:– PROV PROBI AVG NOSTRI, Providentia standing left, holding baton and cornucopiae; at foot, globe
Minted in Siscia (_ S / XXI)
Reference:– Cohen 503. Alfoldi type 55, no 3. RIC 729 Bust type C (R2)

NOSTRI coins do not come up that often and when a nice example comes up I am unlikely to be able to stretch to getting one.

I trust this is ugly enough!

Regards,
Martin

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 12:01:21 pm »
    Despite the corrosion, I consider that an eminently collectible example, because of the COMPLETENESS of every single detail of types and legends.
    With further cleaning and retoning, it could perhaps also be made considerably more attractive to the eye!

Curtis Clay

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 03:05:14 pm »
Hi,

Here's my collectable pig!

Vabalathus as augustus. An antoninianus from the Antioch mint.

Obverse: IM C VHABALATHVS AVG
Reverse : VICTORIA AVG, victory walking left
RIC 6 (r3), C 6.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 09:53:02 pm »
I think this coin also has considerable "oink factor" ... I won't identify it in case a relative newcomer wants a puzzle to solve...

Steve

Wayne Tozer

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 12:09:17 pm »
This one is one of my five Never Ending Cleaning Contest coins.  For that reason I must ask that no one help in it's identification please. I'll post the final attribution shortly on the appropriate broad.

Maximus - 20.5mm

Wish me luck in the contest?!!

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 05:55:49 pm »
Oh, these poor little worn-down etc. coins that would be watering everyone's mouth two or three conservation degrees higher up but which are often to be had for extremely little money, they have a firm place in my collection, there are quite a few that I want to give a good home. Some weeks ago, I showed the 3-Euro Marciana (https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=17619.0), here are a Magnia Urbica I picked from a lot of six coins, and a Max Herculius denarius (!) which some barbarian chieftain probably wore on his helmet. I can't resist such coins. Quite spectacular, of course, is your Vabalathus, Mauseus!

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Jeff Clark

• Procurator Monetae
  • Consul
  • VOTA PVBLICA
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 10:58:41 pm »
Sometimes uglies even cost a fair amount.  I payed $60 for this thing.  But it is an RIC unlisted Constantius I 1/4 follis from Trier.  There is just enough of the reverse to see an X at the bottom, a T to the left in the middle, a V to top left and positively (pretty much) ID it as VO/TIS/X which is not listed for Constantius I in RIC VI, but certainly would be possible.  When I first saw this thread, I immediately thought of this coin and thought it looked worse than it is even.  I probably have worse coins somewhere.
Jeff Clark

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 03:46:25 am »
Hi Rupert,

I couldn't resist doing a little swop deal with Richard Plant for the Vabalathus, a deal that also got me a Tetricus I mint 1 issue I CONCORDIA AVG antoninianus and a Victorinus mint 1 issue II COMES AVG (Victory walking right) - both of which are extremeley difficult coins to find, although they are underrated in RIC. For my part of the exchange I used a very nice Byzantine follis from the Seleucia mint.

I am very partial to late third century fractionals, even with a piercing and, perhaps surprisingly given my love of third century coins, I do not have a Magnia Urbica (although I do have a lead seal that might be her in a pose face to face with a male portrait.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 03:47:00 am »
 Â     For this washed-out As of Caracalla, I bought a whole 44-coin large lot in last January's Triton sale!
 Â     I love coins that are rare on both sides, obv. and rev.
 Â     The rev. of this As is PROF AVGG in exergue, PONTIF TR P XI above, S C in field, Caracalla on horseback right, preceded by one soldier and followed by two others.  It commemorates the departure (Profectio) of the Severan family on their British campaign in 208 AD.
 Â     This same type occurs on sestertii, dupondii, and asses of Septimius Severus (dated TR P XVI), and on sestertii of Caracalla.  I never expected to find it on middle bronzes of Caracalla, however, because he already had two other middle-bronze types commemorating the departure, which occurred for him only, and which I thought were his counterparts of Severus' more elaborate type: PROF AVGG Caracalla on horse r., captive before horse, and PROF AVGG Caracalla on horse l., riding down enemy.
 Â     This is the first appearance of the departure type with added soldiers on a middle-bronze of Caracalla.  The type is overall very rare, for only about a dozen such middle bronzes from two rev. dies are known for Septimius, and only a couple of specimens of the sestertius are recorded for each emperor.
 Â     As to the obverse, this is Caracalla's only As die that adds the names M AVR to his usual middle-bronze legend ANTONINVS PIVS AVG.  The list of other rev. types that occur with this obv. die is spectacular.  COS II Banquet of Hercules, unique in Paris.  IOVI SOSPITATORI Serapis in shrine, one rev. die only, also occurring so far ONLY with this obv. die.  Then a number of other rare and interesting types which are shared between this obv. die and others with the shorter, normal obv. legend:  Caracalla on prancing horse, dated TR P X or XI; TR P XI Galley; VICTORIAE AVGG Victory in biga; RESTITVTOR VRBIS Roma seated.
 Â     The new PROF AVGG type is apparently the latest to have been coupled with this obv. die, which came into use in 207 and remained active at the beginning of 208.
      Fortunately there were some other desirable and nicer coins in that same Triton lot!
Curtis Clay

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005, 03:49:10 am »
Here's the picture.   (I hope...)  Thanks to Susan Headley for taking it and showing me how to post it.

Curtis Clay

Offline Varangian

• Caesar
  • Det er ikke Ã¥ unngÃ¥ fare det vi har komme!
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2005, 10:20:28 am »
Wow, that was a heck of a find, Curtis!  How many other bidders do you think picked up what you did from the auction photo?

Knowledge is always power....

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2005, 12:21:29 pm »
     Since this coin was included in a large lot, it wasn't illustrated or exactly described at all (merely as an As of Caracalla) in the printed catalogue.  There may have been an ensemble image of the lot on CNG's website, but I never looked. 
     I doubt that any personal examiner of the lot before the sale other than myself recognized the coin and appreciated its significance.  It can't qualify as a "find", however, because in this condition its value is modest even when correctly IDed and commented on!
      I forgot to mention one other appearance of this Profectio type of 208 AD with accompanying soldiers:  on a unique large bronze medallion of Septimius that shows not just one horseman setting out, but three, Septimius along with Caracalla and Geta.
       Forvm has just listed an As of Septimius Severus showing one of the same reverse types that was also struck with the long-legend obverse die of Caracalla:  VICTORIAE AVGG S C, Victory in biga. 
       The obv. die of the Forvm coin also happens to be the one from which the asses of Septimius with his own Profectio type with soldiers, PROF AVGG P M TR P XVI S C, were struck!
Curtis Clay

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2005, 04:31:30 pm »
Very interesting indeed. This is the sort of coins that are virtually worthless to most collectors (what would it bring on Ebay, if not accompanied by an expert description??) but priceless to a numismatist.

Rupert

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
    • Coins of the Severan Dynasty at Stobi
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2005, 06:41:38 pm »
I agree, here is my most recent precious ugly duck.  Caracalla AE24, AV M AVR ANTONINVS, bust cuirassed, draped, right, seen from behind; MVNIC ST/OBEN, Zeus seated left, holding scepter and Nike.
Josifovski 526, same dies, one specimen listed from a private collection.
If you watch long enough, even a treefrog is interesting.  Umberto Eco
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10349

Ghengis_Jon

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2005, 07:43:37 pm »
This one was a bugger for me to ID because of the wreath being held at waist level rather than the standard elevated loft.  But I saw one at a show, a Valens, didn't squander the $30 asking price, and now retain a relatively rare reverse.  Its so ugly, its almost hit the coins for kids jar several times, but I just can't seem to part with it.

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2005, 03:11:32 pm »
Hi,

Wanted to revive this topic to display the latest addition to my bag of odds and ends that are too poor to go into my collection but yet are of interest to frustrate people when I tip them onto the table.

It is a "zapped" sestertius of Nero Claudius Drusus in a shocking state of preservation but still worked out good value (in my eyes at least) when I picked it from a rummage tray last Sunday for £1! RIC 93 I think, rather than 109.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2005, 06:23:18 pm »
This is a vile object; I wish it were fake, but it seems not.  It was issued (before someone used Brillo on it?) by Cosconnius Gentianus (see the KOSK...?), and it is Septimius.
Believe me, a good Gentianus head is very nice indeed.
It was an early and confusing acquisition: acquisition squib included for amusement.
22 08 01 AE 25  Nicopolis ad IstrumSeptimius Severus, laureate, draped bust to r.  AV KA[L SEPT]  SEVEROS PE (for Pertinax): the missing letters in brackets to match those in Pick; this reverse is not in AMNG I, 1.  Rev., Dionysos, turned l., holding bunch of grapes in his r., with tall thyrsos (tied with ribbon bow) in his l.  VP KOSK GE[NTIANOV]  NIKOPOLITO[N] and in exergue PROS IS.  Coin covered with toughened black sludge, partly removed by dint of something like Brasso, revealing the brass but not much of the features (but further cleaning seems unadvisable).  Auspex and Tertullus belong to Nicopolis, but Gentianus issued coins also at Marcianopolis; are any concurrent?
Pat L.

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2005, 07:31:32 am »
Here's another one of mine. I couldn't resist it in the bargain box for 10 DEM about ten years ago. It's the rare sestertius of Diva Faustina II that has the title of MATRI CASTROR on the obv. and the funeral pyre on the rev., RIC (Marc. Aur.) 1709, rated R2. Much too interesting to let it go!

Rupert

oerlikon20mm

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2005, 12:48:04 pm »
Constantine looks like he has some really bad acne on this coin. 

Gunner

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2005, 03:57:57 pm »
This is really a nice coin - with the obvious exception.  Looks like an acid burn

All the best

-:Bacchus:-

Mark Farrell

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2005, 02:20:20 am »
This was one of a batch of crusties I got to play with. It's the last one (good thing, because I am SICK of them!!).

It is truly ugly. Worn, pitted extensively, chipped, and cracked. But darned if there weren't enough details remaining to attribute it. And it turned out to be interesting, a dual caesar coin!

Titus and Domitian (minted under Vespasian), Stobi, Macedonia, 25mm, 7.42g, axis 180
OBV: T CAESAR IMP DOMITIANVS CAESAR; head of Titus, r., facing head of Domitian, l.
REV: MVNICIPI STOBENSIVM; tetrastyle temple; inside, cult figure; globe on pediment.
RPC II, 311

Mark

Offline whitetd49

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • FEL TEMP REPARATIO
    • Coins of the Severan Dynasty at Stobi
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2005, 08:22:14 am »
Mark, that got my attention.  RPC 311, Cohen I 464, NBRM 23, Moushmov 6529.  The cult figure is thought to be Askelpios.  Ugly yes, but a nice find.
If you watch long enough, even a treefrog is interesting.  Umberto Eco
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10349

Mark Farrell

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2005, 08:00:33 pm »
It was indeed a nice surprise. I could see two busts early in cleaning and assumed it was a fairly typical provincial. Uncovered enough to read STO on rev and to see that obv legend was in Latin and went whoa, something interesting here!

I'd hoped you would notice the post and comment, as you are certainly the Stobi expert. So, thanks for the additional attribution references!

Mark

Massanutten

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2005, 09:41:14 pm »
    My coin is so ugly, the Mrs. slapped me when she saw it. (drum roll).   This is the kind of coin that needs to be held at that special slant in the light to see any of the remaining detail. But I do just that and am happy for the privilege.  The coin is a sestertius, 33 mm and 24.4 gm.  The portrait is that of Nero Claudius Drusus Germanicus, the son of Livia, brother of Tiberius, husband to Antonia and father of Claudius, Germanicus and Livilla.  Now I ask you, How can I watch 'I Claudius' without pulling this coin out to help make the electric connection to the real person that shook the earth two thousand years ago?

Paul Oatman

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2005, 11:10:27 pm »

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2005, 02:34:34 am »
Curtis Clay

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2005, 04:33:34 pm »

TRPOT

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2005, 05:37:52 pm »

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2005, 07:30:46 pm »

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2005, 10:33:31 pm »
Curtis Clay

William J Bligh

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2005, 03:33:20 pm »

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2005, 04:10:41 pm »

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2005, 09:38:49 am »

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2005, 03:02:35 pm »
Andreas Reich

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2005, 11:40:18 am »

basemetal

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2005, 01:41:27 am »

Offline Pep

• Magistratus Optima Lege VI
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2006, 11:43:12 pm »

Offline Corduba

• Consul
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2006, 03:52:48 am »

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2006, 06:46:34 am »

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2006, 12:38:37 pm »

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2006, 01:16:06 pm »
Curtis Clay

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2006, 01:28:59 pm »

Offline arizonarobin

• Caesar
  • Ms. arizonarobin :)
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2006, 07:46:13 pm »

Offline b70

• Praetorian
    • Ab Urbe Condita
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2006, 04:48:45 am »

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2006, 09:53:48 pm »

stickman

« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2006, 09:49:13 pm »

Massanutten

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2006, 10:33:39 pm »

virtvsprobi

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2006, 12:42:44 am »

AncientCoins

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2006, 09:33:14 am »

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2018, 03:55:56 pm »
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2018, 02:06:38 am »

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2018, 06:57:52 am »

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2018, 06:59:22 am »
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2018, 10:19:48 am »
Curtis Clay

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2018, 10:45:02 am »

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2018, 02:06:20 pm »

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2018, 02:37:50 pm »
Curtis Clay

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2018, 02:17:45 am »

All coins are guaranteed for eternity