Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mercury reverse?  (Read 1130 times)

Vladimir

Mercury reverse?
« on: April 23, 2005, 03:21:56 am »
David Sear states in his 1970 SRCV book that Mercury reverse is scarce.. I got a coin (dupondius size I guess) with Maximian (or Gordian I ? Gordian II?) on obverse, and Mercury on reverse. I cant find a coin from any of these guys with Mercury reverse. Another thing, is it possible  that a coin legend is written with Greek  letters ? Because I see something like ?ANT  :Greek_Gamma: OP  :Greek_Delta: IAN  obverse

PS I know  a pic would be helpful, and I do have a good digital camera, but I cant figure out yet how to put it in hard drive and post it

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
Re: Mercury reverse?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 08:26:19 pm »
Two things:  When Mr. Sear commented on the scarcity of Mercury reverses, he was talking about Roman Imperial coins.  The fellow on Provincials with Greek legends is considered Hermes and is much more common on Provincials  than his Latin namesake.

Second: When he was calling Mercury scarce, Mr. Sear probably meant that few rulers used a Mercury type (true).  However, the few that did (Gallienus and Marcus Aurelius come to mind)issued enough that the coins are not terribly rare or valuable just because they have Mercury.  There is a similar case with Ops who was only used by a couple of the Emperors but is probably the most commonly seen reverse of Pertinax and brings no premium over other reverses of this ruler. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity